Please sign in to post.

Slovenia

Recently saw Rick's show on Slovenia. It looked really beautiful and a great place to go. Has anyone been there? If so, please share your experience.

Posted by
791 posts

I spent some time in Ljubiana a few years back. It's a nice enough place, a lot of fun for young people as it's a big university city. Slovenia itself I thought was beautiful, I remember thinking it was almost like a combination of Germany and Austria. If you don't like big cities, a lot of people here are fond of a place called Bled which is a scenic resort area on a lake.

Posted by
524 posts

I have been to Bled and also rented a car and drove thru the Julian Alps. It is really beautiful. We were in Bled in later October and at that time I would describe it as chilly and a little sleepy. Not a ton buzzing around there - but very nice and relaxing. The setting around Bled is gorgeous but I think I enjoyed my daytrip away from Bled a little more. Driving the Julian Alps was a great way to get out and see some great stuff. We hiked to the sorce of the Soca River. That was fun. The water running from the Soca River is indescribable. It almost doesn't seem real it is SOOO turquois blue. We got out and took lots of pictures. There is a lot of WWI history up in those moutains. There is a fantastic tiny museum dedicated to the battles of WWI in that area. There is a Mausoleum there dedicated to the Italian soldiers that died. And there is a story of how Mussolini was plotted and nearly assasinated at that exact mausoleum. Very interesting. Take dramamine. I say this every time because I did get sick driving the twisty roads. I am a flat land girl!

Posted by
13 posts

How about train travel through Slovenia. Is it available to most ot the places you would really want to see.

Posted by
544 posts

I agree with the previous writers' comments, and would add that the caves in the karst region are worthwhile. The little fishing town of Piran was also a pleasant afternoon visit. In answer to your question about trains, in general trains are not particularly useful in Slovenia. If you're going from there to other countries, they're fine, but within Slovenia I'd suggest renting a car. The roads are in good repair and well-marked.

Posted by
1167 posts

When we were there a few years ago I was impressed by how many people spoke English.

Posted by
1 posts

We spent a week August 2012 in Radovljica. We spent a lot of time in Bled as well as traveling around to other spots. Slovenia quickly became our favorite destination in Europe and we plan on going back, perhaps for an extended stay. We visited several countries, including Germany and Vienna, Austria so why? PeoplePhysical beautyReasonable pricesExcellent infrastructure, including Internet Maybe I shouldn't say so much! It was so nice I wouldn't want to spoil it!

Posted by
26 posts

We hope to go there in September of 2014, probably using a custom-made itinerary for just the 2 of us with www.adventures-abroad.com. Many organized trips (Insight, Globus, Grand European Tours, etc.) to Slovenia include Bosnia-Herzegovenia, Dubrovnik and Montenegro, places we've been to already, plus they're bus trips for 35+ people. We intend to go to Split (Croatia) and Slovenia (including Lake Bled, Zagreb, Ljubljana and places in between).

Posted by
2527 posts

Yes it is beautiful and a great country to visit. The atmosphere in Ljubljana is very enjoyable and a contrast with the countryside. People, food, accommodations, etc. are good in my opinion. What's holding you back?

Posted by
2788 posts

We just signed up for RS 14-Day Adriatic Tour that spends time in Slovenia.
You might want to go to the RS Tours section of this web site and click thru Eastern Europe > Adriatic just to get a map and see where that tour goes as well as you could click thru to its daily itinerary to see what they think is important.