Please sign in to post.

Milan central train station

I will be traveling alone from MXP to central train station then on to Venice and was wondering what the safety level is in the station. Is the bus or train best from airport?
Thnx!

Posted by
3551 posts

The airport shuttle bus from MXP to Milano Centrale is safe as all are mostly tourists like you. However you must be very careful at airport, walking to and from and at Milano centrale train station especially. Use your travel neck pouch for your valuables. the main prob is pick pockets and luggage /purse snatching. You must be aware everywhere in Italy. It is so gd your are aware and asking others.
Buon Viaggio.

Posted by
1035 posts

I didn't know it wasn't a safe place -- seemed fine to me. What a building too.

Posted by
10344 posts

MXP is about 30 miles outside of central Milan.

Posted by
13 posts

I heard there was a new train from airport to central train station. Has anyone heard of it?

Posted by
11645 posts

There is now Trenitalia service from Malpensa to Venice. No more bus! Ranges from 37.50 euros in 2nd class (part Frecciabianca from Centrale, and Regionale from MXP to Centrale) to 105 euros 1st class, Freccia-all-the way via Bologna. Take 3 hours 45 minutes to 4 hours. Frequent trains, too. I would bet they are very popular. On Trenitalia's site, be sure to enter your departure (from) station as Malpensa. MXP won't work.

Posted by
13 posts

That is good to know. I am going to Verona first so was looking for train to Milan central station to avoid bus.

Posted by
32324 posts

Julie, "Fall 2011" must have been a typo on my part. As I recall the new train service began service in Fall 2010. For travel from MXP to Venice, the travel time is as short as 3H:48M, with one change at Milano Centrale (second class fare currently listed at €37.50). In terms of the "safety level", Milano Centrale has a bit of a reputation for petty theft, so be sure you're wearing a Money Belt and keep watch on your luggage. I've never had any problems there, but I'm always quite vigilant. To be fair, Milano Centrale is not the only place where one can experience "theft issues". Travellers could also have problems in the main areas of major cities in Italy, and especially on the Metro systems. Happy travels!

Posted by
32324 posts

Julie, There are frequent trains from Milan / MXP to Milano Centrale. Travel time varies from 40M to 52M; fares vary from €7-12 (depending on the train) and reservations seems to be compulsory for all of them (those will be included in the cost of the ticket you purchase at the airport). For future reference, it's very easy to buy tickets in Italy, either from the staffed ticket office or automated Kiosks (and possibly cheaper than buying from Eurail?). If your train is stopping in Verona, it's possible that it's a slower regional train? The direct ES / AV would have saved you some time on that particular route (which is a good thing after a long flight). Happy travels!

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you! I have already purchased train tickets on Eurorail from Milan to Verona then to Venice but am specifically looking for train service from airport to Milan central.

Posted by
811 posts

the train station area is pretty safe. it's connected with the airport via bus line just to keep your option open.