Please sign in to post.

Trip planning

We are in the process of planning our first trip together to Europe to celebrate our 25th Anniv. I just wanted to get some feedback on our plans and see what I may be missing.

London 4 days
Portsmouth 2 days (ex Navy here)
St Austell, Cornwall 2 days(mevagissey is our ancestral home)
Bath 2 days
Oxford 1 day (Blenhiem palace)
Travel to Dieppe 2 nights in Bayeux
Paris 3 nights
Bourges 1 night (visit a friend)
Avignon 2 days
Venice 2 days
Munich 1 week ( Home base)
Brussels 2 days (customers)
Amsterdam 3 days

As much as we would love to spend more time and see Spain and Italy in greater detail I dont want to burn out either.

comments what would you change?

Posted by
1633 posts

Bill, I added a total of 33 days of travel. I assume by train? Is this correct? Flying into London & out of Amsterdam?

Posted by
16 posts

Actually we leave on the Sept 16 arriving London on the 17th and dont leave from Amsterdam until the 22nd of October. While I have programed 33 days we actually have 35 days not counting the travel in and out of Europe. That way we have a couple of extra days to use on the unexpected along the way. The only reservations I have made are London on arrival, Portsmouth, Normandy and Paris. For the rest given its late in the season we will take Ricks guide in hand and go looking for what we can find. I have reserved cars in Cornwall and Normandy (its a weekend there) but left the rest open to fate. While I do want a schedule I want to be open to adjust it. We should perhaps book our car for Munich based on PM advice here though. Yes most of it by train Brit rail pass in England and Eurorail pass on the continent. Renting cars along the way as needed.

Posted by
389 posts

This looks like a good trip. I actually think you are covering a lot of territory in a reasonable time and since you are celebrating 25 years you are as young as you once were (I figured that out this summer --26 years!) I find that I enjoy seeing but the daily changes have become more wearing than on my first trip 20 years ago. You might find that you need a bit more time in the middle and not quite as much in Amsterdam, but if you have appointments with customers your ending time is probably set which means adjusting earlier on. I always give myself 1 down day for every 7-10 days. That means I plan nothing and sometimes find the best moments are the ones in the laundromat or the park or I read. I am a go-er/do-er (my family calls me the cruise director) but those days make the rest of the trip a vacation.

Posted by
28 posts

From Paris to Bourges it would be worth going via the Tours area to see some of the Loire Valley chateaux. Avignon to Venice is a full day just to get there so you'd only have 1 day to enjoy the city. You might save Venice for a future trip to Italy & Spain. Instead, a suggestion would be to go from Avignon to Munich through Switzerland (route could be via Geneva, Interlaken, and Lucerne).

Posted by
219 posts

Bill, I like your trip alot. A few things to see, my suggestions, of course: in London, see any play produced by the RSC at the Barbican. It's worth it! Since you will be at St Austell, can you go further west and visit Penzance, St Ives(artist town), Cape Cornwall, and Lands' End(both magnificient scenery!) You'll be able to find a B&B easily. Can you spend 1 day in Bath and 2 days in Oxford(for the palace and the university)? 2 nights is enough for Bayeux: some WWII sites and the tapestry. For me, there's never enough time for Paris esp if you're w/a loved one. I rather have you drop Avignon & spend more time in Venice, so much to see, the beauty, romance, & of course the food. Can't offer suggestions for the rest. Have a great trip w/whatever you decide.