Please sign in to post.

6-week Solo trip to Europe May/June 2015

Dear forumers,

I'm embarking a 6-week solo tour around Europe in May-June 2015 with 8 days in Turkey. Would appreciate it very much if you guys have any suggestions or advices on my itinerary since it's my first time stepping foot on this continent!

2-9/5 Turkey
Day 1: Arrival at Ataturk airport- flight to Kayseri
Day 2-3: Explore Cappadocia/Goreme (hot air balloon tour! Can't wait!)
Day 4-7: Explore Istanbul new and old town (any suggestion on off-the-beaten-path places in Istanbul?)

9-14/5 Greece
Day 1 Explore Athens (or maybe Sounion)
Day 2-3Taking a tour to Delphi and Meteora
Day 4 Continue to explore Athens
Day 5-6 Explore Santorini

14-22/5 Italy
Day 1-3 Explore Rome and Vatican
Day 4-5 Explore Florence
Day 6 Taking a day tour to Pisa and Cinque Terre
Day 7-8 Explore Venice

22-24/5 Switzerland
Day 1-2 Explore Lucerne and taking the Golden round trip tour

24-29/5 Austria
Day 1-2 Explore Salzburg
Day 3 Day trip to Hallstatt
Day 4-6 Explore Vienna

30/5-1/6 Hungary
Day 1-3 Explore Budapest

1-4/6 Czech Republic
Day 1-3 Explore Prague

4-9/6 UK
Day 1-5 London (+ Oxford)

9-15/6 France
Day 1-6 France (+ Versailles and Loire Valley)

Any comments are most welcomed and thank you all in advanced for reading this post! :)

Posted by
134 posts

Switzerland: I would add Lugano 1/2 day to visit the centre of this small city and 1/2 day to visit the lake.
I would also add Geneva (1-2 days) and Bern 1/2 -1 day.

Italy
Florence diserves at least 4 days.
In the same area, there is also Sienna and San Gimignano which each diserves at least 1 day. Should you like the sea, I advise you isola d'Elba and other Tuscany islands (3days). Should you need a bed and breakfast in Florence, let me know, I have a friend who has one. In Rome I also know of one lovely bed and breakfast near the Vatican.
Rome diserves 4-5 days (Europe's largest historical city centre -6 miles wide, so be prepared to use your shoes)

Posted by
134 posts

France :
Paris is a wonderful city and diserves time. Due to what happened lately in Paris, expect yourself to be checked by police when taking the metropolitan or near or at public buildings. So this will take time. Versailles is near - almost part of Paris - so you would do this at the same time. In Paris remain in the central area.
In France, Try also to visit Brittany (maybe on your trip to or back from England), Languedoc region, all France's west coast, Provence and Alsace regions. The Loire Chateaux are also very nice and interesting. Also Cote d'azure is worth a visit and you may also want to go to Italy from there driving or sailing down along the coast and get in that way to cinque terre.

Enjoy our lovely continent

In Italy there are also Naples and Naples bay which are a wonder with Capri and Ischia Islands. Then also the marvelous Sicily.

If I were you I would do France, Switzerland and Italy this time and maybe England and would do Germany, Austria, Czech and Slovak Republics, Hungary an other time. Spain and Portugal and the French Pyrrenean region another time. Brussels in Belgium is also worth a two days visit . Malta is also intersting and very near Sicily. Enjoy and discover our continent and its culture. Do not hesitate to contact me for further information.