Please sign in to post.

Train from Munich Airport to Salzburg

My wife and I plan to take the train from Munich airport to Salzburg. I checked the DB Bahn and RailEurope websites which are a little confusing. DB Bahn shows you can travel from the terminal to Salzburg with one change (which I assume is the Main train station in Munich). Is this the best way? It's not clear on RailEurope sie.

Posted by
23550 posts

Believe DB Bahn. You will need to change at the main station. RailEurope only lists the route for which they sell tickets so everything is not list. Remember RailEurope is a travel agency. Not a railroad company.

Posted by
19237 posts

As has been stated here many times in the past, don't use Rail Europe. Their prices will be higher and their selektion is limited to what they want to sell you. The selektion on the Bahn website will be complete. MUC to Munich by S-Bahn, then Munich to Salzburg by regional or express train. The most straight forward route would be either the S1 or the S8 to the Hbf, but, depending on minor changes in the schedule from year to year and the type of train to Salzburg, sometimes taking the S8 to Ostbahnhof to catch a train to Salzburg is faster. If you buy a Bayern-Ticket (€29 for up to five people) at the S-Bahn station at the airport, it will cover you all the way to Salzburg by S-Bahn and regional train. There is also a Lufthansa bus from the airport direct to Salzburg.

Posted by
33477 posts

Dick Repeat after me, "I will not believe Rail Europe. They will not tell me everything. I will only believe DB." Again: "I will not believe Rail Europe. They will not tell me everything. I will only believe DB." And again:
"I will not believe Rail Europe. They will not tell me everything. I will only believe DB." OK. now relax.

Posted by
1568 posts

Again, don't use RailEurope. Purchase the Bayern/Barvarian (28 or 29 Euros for 2 or more people traveling together) ticket at the train station.