Please sign in to post.

Travel to Italy

I am planing my first trip to Italy. I am looking for suggestions on an itinerary for 9-11 day trip?

Posted by
354 posts

If you are not sure of the possible destinations in Italy, you can easily start your own research by using this very website. Just click on the "Plan Your Trip" tab at the top of your screen, then in the "Where In Europe?" section click on "Italy". Rick has posted 85 articles on Italy. Make notes on everything that appeals to you, and let your interests shape your itinerary. Also take a look at: www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/ www.frommers.com/destinations/italy/
www.lonelyplanet.com/italy That said, other travelers can certainly help out with logistics, descriptions, pacing, etc.

Posted by
1976 posts

Since you only have 9 or 11 days, I would suggest visiting just a few places - Venice, Florence, and Rome, for example. Most people on this board will agree that it's better to stay in each location for at least 2 nights, so that you can get a better feel for each city.

Posted by
12172 posts

There is a ton to see in Italy - better to not try to see too much in the time allowed. Plan to lose half a day to travel for each leg plus some time for flights/jet lag on either end. I would stick with the classic intro to Italy Venice-Florence-Rome (in either order). Two nights in Venice, two or three nights in Florence and the rest in Rome. Flying open jaw using Venice and Rome as your airports will save most of a day backtracking (time is very valuable on vacation, paying a little extra for an open-jaw itinerary is worth it).

Posted by
361 posts

Use Rome as a base, spend 3 - 4 day there, take the train to Florence spend 2 days there, maybe go to the Spoleto festival and/or go to Sorrento by train spend a few days there and wish you had more time because you have just scratched the surface.

Posted by
53 posts

Hello Robert, I agree with what has been said: do not spread yourself too thin, and stick to the really big stuff, and maybe one small out-of-the-way-a-bit place for your first time. It really depends on how much lingering time you like; how much train or bus travel you want to do, and your must-see priorities. To me, Rome and Florence are a must. I love Venice, but not as much as the other two. The Rick Steves' guides will give you some great ideas. The Lonely Planet "Encounter" series is quite good as well.
I have my own personal idea of what is best, but all of this advice - all of it good (I have been to Italy 11 times so I know) is still subject to personal taste. Also, consider your flight options. If you fly into Rome, you can go direct from many places. From Florence not so. Do you mind connecting? If you are on a tight budget and are going at a busy time Florence can be quite expensive and can be done as a day trip from a Tuscan hill town. That might offer an experience you had not considered. If after all that you are still in doubt, the Venice-Florence-Rome excursion is a winner. I would do two days in Venice (a third if you want to day-trip to Verona or Padua); three or four in Florence, and four in Rome, but again, that's me. Anyway happy travels, and please ask me if you think I can be of any help (I have a posted question about Skype on this General Europe page so you can get me there). Cheers, William

Posted by
358 posts

I would see Venice,Florence and Rome along with a few side trips to either Siena or Pisa. RS has a nice Heart of Italy tour that you can look at and they go to Cinque Terre and Lucca in addition to Florence and Rome.

Posted by
1633 posts

Right now, on this website, you can buy a set of DVD's for Italy. It's on sale, for $9.99 in the travel store. Watching these may give you an idea of where you would like to go and what you would like to see.

Posted by
518 posts

My advice is to listen to the Rome-Florence-Venice advice. Some people like Florence better than Venice. Some the other way round. However you decide to divide it. spend 2 nights in one and 3 in the other. Spend the rest in Rome. If you try to see too many places, you will spend too much time traveling. Train connections between R-F-V are frequent and fast. I've been to Italy several times. I'd save the rest for later. Have a great time.

Posted by
32213 posts

Robert, First of all, does your 9-11 day time frame include your travel days? I also tend to agree with the others in that Venice, Florence and Rome are a good combination for that length of time. However, before making more specific suggestions, it would help to know which places you're most interested in visiting? With careful planning, it should be possible to include a short stop in at least one smaller town (ie: Orvieto, Siena). With such a short trip, I'd recommend focusing on Rome and the north, and leave the south for another visit. Happy travels!