Please sign in to post.

Rome, Italy

We will be in Rome 2/6 to 2/9. We heard you can purchase skip the line pass for a self guided tour. We plan to use PodCast from Rick Steve and purchase skip the line pass without actually taking a guided tour. any suggestions?

Posted by
11645 posts

Catherine:
You might do well to post this on the "To the Boot" forum where Italophiles abound. You might want to read Rick Steves "Rome" guide first, as he covers the major sites and where there are challenges with entry,where advance purchase is helpful, and so on. After you've briefed yourself, you can come to the helpline and ask your specific questions for clarification. One tip: Never buy a Colosseum ticket at the Colosseum. The line is HUGE. You can buy at the Palatine Hill entrance where there is a much shorter line, or buy a Roma Pass (many locatons) that includes entry or discount to multiple sites. All of this is in Rick's guidebook and many other good guidebooks as well.

Posted by
7900 posts

Catherine; I would do a little more research. There really is no overall pass, like Paris, that gets you in the door and past lines in Rome. The Roma Pass does get you a metro pass and entrance to a couple museums, but I belive it only covers the cost, you still need to ticket at the site, and for the Borghese, you need advance reservations. The vatican Museum is not included in the Roma Pass, I believe there is a reservation system now, but still, it includes advanced work. Aside from that, a number of sites are Free (St Peters, the Pantheon, other churches, Fountains) where, if there is a line, you are stuck waiting.