Please sign in to post.

Ostia Antica

I will be arriving in Civitaveccia Italy (cruise ship), on Wednesday, April 13. I want to tour Ostia Antica. Is this a reasonable excursion? If so, any suggestions?

Posted by
92 posts

It is interesting old port city to Rome, and they have recently uncovered a buried old ship, where they found gold coins, and other articles. I have not seen the old Ostia Antica in at least 5 years. But, I took a train from central Rome to Ostia Antica. If you have time from the ship, you might rather take a tour of Rome for sightseeing. A lot depends on your time in port. Have a nice trip.

Posted by
23550 posts

You could do it. The Civit... train station is about a 15 min walk from the port entrance and there should be shuttle from your ship to the port entrance. It is about an hour by train from the port to Termini and then a subway ride and one change and about another hour to OA. The train stop is right there and about hundred yard walk into the park. You can buy an all day train ticket for 9 Euro (last year's price so will be a little higher this year). Buy it at the tobacco shop in the train station.

Posted by
39 posts

We toured Ostia Antica with Context tour company and found it very interesting. Doris
Shoreline,WA

Posted by
12313 posts

We liked Ostia. We spent half a day there and could have easily spent more. I'm mostly worried about the time lost to transportation. If it's an extra hour each way from Termini to Ostia, you will be taking two extra hours out of an already short day (because of the train ride from the port to Rome). There is a decent cafeteria on the site, so you won't have to plan a seperate trip to eat but it is likely to be the only thing you can see during your day. Our technique on cruise ships is to pack a snack lunch with us for each port - more to save time than money. We usually make some sandwiches with rolls, lunch meat, cheeses, etc. plus some fruit (and put it in the zip lock bags we always include in our pack list).