Please sign in to post.

Travelers Checks?

I've been getting mixed opinions about using travelers checks when traveling through Europe. Any pros or cons from someone with personal experience would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick has said: "I've cashed my last traveler's check." 2002 was the last time I used them, even by then it was hard to find places that accepted them and this has only gotten worse in last 5 years. You can see what others have said about them using search box in upper right.

Posted by
23310 posts

Don't know what the mixed opinion is. TC are bad news. Expensive to buy, more expensive to cash. AND nobody wants them. Fraud with TC has been extensive and most merchants will avoid them. Haven't used TC in ten years or more. Who is telling you that TC are a good option?

Posted by
705 posts

I haven't used TC for years either. I just find them a hassle and use my ATM card if I need cash. I do tend to take some cash with me which I preorder from Travelex and collect at the airport on departure. Otherwise all goes on the good old credit card. This works for me.

Posted by
9363 posts

I wouldn't advise use of travelers checks -- you could have difficulty finding places that will take them. I probably haven't used them since the advent of ATM cards.

Posted by
32219 posts

Kelsey,

Like Rick and the others, I suspect I've cashed my last Traveller's Cheque. ATM / Cash Points are easily available, so why bother with the hassle of T.C.'s.

If you plan on using ATM's be sure to take at least two cards in case you have difficulty with one. Also, your funds usually have to be in a chequing account, with a four number PIN.

I also take credit cards for "backup", or for car rentals or whatever.

Happy travels!!!

Posted by
11507 posts

Hi Kelsey,, I have yet to hear anything good about travellers checks, as far as anyone using them nowadays. They are close to useless for small purchases as most places hate them, and won't even accept them, so off to a bank or Amex to cash them you have to go.
Use your ATM card, I have used travellers checks,, I came from the era when one did, and about 11 or 12 years ago I switched to using my ATM card. What a relief, so easy. I also have an account that allows no charge ATM foreign withdrawels, but if you don't just make big withdrawels( make sure your daily limit is at least 3 or 4 hundred euros) and so you are not running to a machine everyday. I put bulk in safe and just carry a days worth of money with me at any time.