Please sign in to post.

Carry-on bag ?

I have the RS Avanti bag (the older model) and I love it. My ? is, if I take it on a plane, does it count as my one-and-only carry-on? Or can I take it plus a small suitcase (which is carry-on sized)? The Avanti is, I fear, too large to count as my purse. I am DETERMINED to not check a bag, but I do have several meds I must take with me, and the darn pill bottles take up space (and yes, I have to haul the pill bottles with me).
All advice welcomed, and thank you!

Posted by
389 posts

This depends on a whether you are flying an American airline (not British Air, etc.) and where you are going. I carried the Avanti as my "purse" because they allow 1 carry on and one "persona" item which includes a brief case. I do warn you, coming out of any UK airport they will only allow ONE bag through security, and they really mean it. We had to get our fairly large "personal items" into our carry-on case and that was scary. Going over we'd had no problems and once through security the American companies don't usually balk at even 3 if one is a bag from one of the duty free shops.

Posted by
32219 posts

Margaret,

This will depend on what airport and airline you'll be travelling with? As the previous post indicated, most North American airlines allow one carry-on and one "personal" item (purse, Laptop, Briefcase, etc.). However, if you're departing from a U.K. airport they really do mean ONE carry-on bag!

You might want to check the web sites of whichever airline(s) you'll be travelling with, as they will specify the carry-on limits.

Cheers!!!

Posted by
769 posts

My last few trips on Lufthansa and Swiss to Europe have been with my RS_bag as carryon - and a med-backpack (Northface) as my "personal-computer/camera equip" bag. Just make sure your RS bag is under the 8kg limit ( the avanti can be more since its a "purse/briefcase!" and books/camera/PCs are too heavy to count as carry on wieght so you should be fine. Call ahead and ask - and (just incase) be prepared to check the RS if for some reason they ask you to.

Posted by
1158 posts

Tom,

Did they weigh your "personal bag"?
Thanks

Posted by
769 posts

No = ive never heard of anyone weigh a womans purse or a business mans breifcase with lap top - so my day pack is the same qualification (if it is indeed a normal day pack 30 L or less!) A laptop is 6-8 lbs with the adapters (i dont take one but just to say) my DLSR was well over 3.5 lbs (the lens is the heavy part) - plus 2-3 guide books - 3lbs, and a few ipod/camera extras. I may be wrong but dont women carry around the kitchen sink too! :p so if youre dont over stuff and look like youre about to tip over - you should be good without any weighins!

Posted by
1158 posts

Thanks Tom.
I guess as long as your day packback doesn't look very bulky, they won't weigh it.