Please sign in to post.

Power in Italy

I have seen two different adapters for Italy -- the Std. European (non-grounded), which I already own, and another 3-pronged grounded one. Any idea how I can tell when I might need the 3-pronged one? Don't want to buy if I don't have to. Thx!

Posted by
5548 posts

You only need the 2 pronged one. It is similar to the U.S. We have 3 pronged plugs and 2 pronged plugs. The 2 pronged plugs work in all outlets.

Posted by
104 posts

I typically bring a 3 to 2 prong adapter (US) in case I need to convert any of my 3 pronged plugs to interface with my European adapters (mine only have the 2 prongs). They are about $1 in any hardware store.

Posted by
53 posts

FYI - Make sure you don't buy one of those HUGE universal adapter things they sell for about $40 (Radio Shack, etc.)! Some people with us took it, and it doesn't work in most outlets!! Most Euro outlets are round & the 2 holes are deep in there. With the big adapter, it was too big (wouldn't fit in the circular part) & wouldn't go deep enough to enter the 2 holes.

I used Rick's 2 prong adapters & never had any trouble with them not fitting all over western Europe, including Italy.