Please sign in to post.

Questions

I will be going to Italy in May and I have several questions: Are Compression Socks really helpful on the flight? What snacks do you usually rely on? What can I do to prevent or lessen Jet Lag?What should you carry in your Travel Wallet? What camera do you recommend? Is it important to use a Security Purse? Which one? How many Euro's do you usually carry with you? I know. Lots of questions - but I hope you can help me out with some or all of these! Thanks!

Posted by
4412 posts

First of all, I second (or third or fourth) the suggestion to read "Europe Through the Back Door" - TONS of info on the nuts-and-bolts of European travel. And my suggestion on snacks is - bring them, and bring something that's 'phyically hardy' and not things like NutraGrain bars. Once they get squished, you have to scrape them off of the wrapper...I bring Snickers and peanut butter crackers - they fit well in a quart Ziploc bag. (Except for fat content, NORMAL SIZED Snickers bars are extremely close to sports bars like Clif bars, if you're interested...) Also, Quaker Oaks makes 'Breakfast Squares' that are also very hardy and taste good. Last year I flew out of Frankfurt and was pleased to see on their website lots of good places for breakfast beyond security. Yeah. Where WE ended up had squat; we could buy paperbacks in German or English, and magnets. NO Food 8-( I was VERY glad to still have those 2 Breakfast Squares...AND if there's bad turbulence on your flight, there's NO FOOD OR DRINK served...it's happened to me several times...so I always have food (and I've sat on many tarmacs for hours...). I also bring empty plastic water bottles to the airport with me, then fill them up after security. (cont.)

Posted by
4412 posts

(cont.) We usually carry 100-200 Euro with us, mainly because we keep some from our last trip. More important to me is coins for the restrooms LOL. But the first several trips we carried NO Euro; we just used the first ATM we came across. What exactly do you mean by a "Travel Wallet" - a regular wallet for money, or a money belt-type device for your passport, etc., that's more of a deep-storage item? Security purses are too heavy for me. I carry a small daypack; something that's large enough for a guidebook, jacket and/or umbrella, water and snack, eyeglasses, some spending money, etc. And watch it like a hawk! For me, the absolute lightest camera you can find is the one you might want to consider. And one that if you lost/dropped it, you wouldn't be devastated. Upset, but not devastated. And I prefer regular batteries, not proprietary rechargable ones; I want to be able to carry a spare, and not have to recharge all of the time. And carry several small-sized memory cards. If something happens to one, you haven't lost your entire trip. And don't keep them together with your camera - if you lose your camera or (shudder) it's stolen, your other cards in your moneybelt are safe. As for compression socks, they typically don't do any harm, but unless your doctor prescribes them, you don't need them. DO get up and walk around the cabin as much as possible - every hour or so. You'll probably be awake 8-( Squeeze and release your thigh and calf muscles and rotate your ankles while you're sitting in your seat to keep your muscles pumping blood back up to your heart. Did I mention reading "ETBD"?!?

Posted by
4412 posts

(cont.) And use that money belt!!! Passport, credit card(s), ATM card(s), major ATM-type cash, and train/plane tickets. I also carry those extra camera memory cards and any extra jewelry I've brought - an extra pair of hoop earrings, usually.

Posted by
23554 posts

Too many questions for the limited space for responses. You need to do some homework first and then ask the questions not answered by the homework. Review the guides and might take a look at Though the Backdoor. Very short answers to your questions 1. Yes, but also depends on age, weight and general health conditions. Do you wear compression socks now? 2. Everyone has a system no system solves all jet lag problems. Search this site for extensive discussions on that subject. 3. Money, credit cards, debit cards, and passport in a money belt. Don't know what you mean by Travel Wallet. I don't carry a billfold. 4. About any camera works depending on your preferences.
5. Security Purse are overkill IMO. Serious consider your need for a purse. 6. At any one time maybe 1 to 200E and get more with a debit card at ATMs that are everywhere and secure.

Posted by
158 posts

"What snacks do you usually rely on?" snacks where? on the plane? they usually feed you, but you can always sneak something on from the airport. walking around? whatever sounds good to you. we typically buy stuff for lunch from a grocery store to make sandwiches, and also get some fruit. so if you get hungry while walking around, you can just take down an apple. "How many Euro's do you usually carry with you?" i usually take about 300 euro out from the atm at a time, and then only keep around 50 or so actually in my pocket. the rest is in the deep storage of my moneybelt. but even that varies, because i find a moneybelt to be a bit of overkill in switzerland. "What can I do to prevent or lessen Jet Lag?" the only thing i know of that will really work is sleeping on the plane so that when you land you're rested, since flights tend to land in the morning of local time. good luck, i have yet to be able to sleep on the plane. 'What camera do you recommend?" whatever you like to use and are comfortable with using. bottom line, the best camera is the one you have with you, not sitting in the room because you don't want to deal with it. "Is it important to use a Security Purse?" i assume you are talking about the ones with cabling in the straps to prevent prevent people slashing them. i say if you are a paranoid trending person go for it. otherwise, just keep aware of your surroundings to prevent hands from reaching inside your bag, rather than taking the whole thing. "Are Compression Socks really helpful on the flight?" i've got no idea, don't use them. i suppose if you are older, have poor circulation, or have problems with blood clots, yes.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Are Compression Socks really helpful on the flight?" If you mean, do they help prevent DVTs? In someone with risk factors, they're properly made (ie, if you got them at a travel store and not through a health care provider, they're probably junk) and they are properly fitted, then yes. If none of the above apply, then no. "What can I do to prevent or lessen Jet Lag?" Search through the archives and you'll probably find hundreds of threads asking this question. Short answer, most of us have found what works for us personally through trial and error. I drug myself on the flight, try to get plenty of sun light (easier in the warmer months, hard in the winter), and expect to hit the wall early on the first day. Will this work for you? Who knows?

Posted by
629 posts

Compression socks: Don't know? Snacks: fruit, nuts, cheeses.... Jet Lag: we tried 'No-Jet-Lag' pills last trip, seemed to work but made us REALLY thirsty. Travel Wallet: in my front pocket with about $50 in cash & coins. Camera: Point&Shoot for me DLSR for my wife. Security purse: is that one that cannot be scanned? Euros: About $200+/- in money belt with credit/bank cards, passport & all other info. My wife prefers the neck style. Try one out at home for a few days.
Hope this will help!

Posted by
1976 posts

1. Never used them - what helps me the most is getting up every 2 hours and standing at the back of the plane for 10 or 15 minutes. 2. I take granola bars from home and plan on eating 1 per day (18 days abroad means 18 granola bars). 3. Listen to your body - if you feel like going out after you get to your hotel, then do it. If you need to lay down and sleep, do that too. It can take a full 24 hours after you land to get over jetlag. 4. Not sure what you mean by travel wallet. In my money belt, I have more cash (I bring about 100 euros from the States), ATM card, 2 credit cards, driver's license, student ID, passport, health insurance card. 5. I like the Nikon Coolpix S8000 (point-and-shoot). 6. I've never used a security purse. If anyone has gotten into my day bag, nothing was taken because I don't keep anything valuable in there. 7. For daily money, I carry between 20 and 40 euros in my day bag.

Posted by
1022 posts

My wife finds that compression socks are warm and reduce swelling in her ankles and calves during the flight. We don't snack, so can't help you there. If you can sleep on a plane, jet lag normally isn't a big problem after the first day or so. Some people like to have a nap during the first day, others including us prefer to keep going then have an early dinner and hit the sack. We don't use travel wallets, just normal purse and wallet; passports are kept in the purse or the day bag. There are many good cameras to choose from. In the point-and-shoot category, Canon Powershot and Nikon Coolpix models are small and produce very good shots. We use ATM's and usually get enough cash to last a couple of days at a time.

Posted by
4637 posts

I would add few comments about jet lag. It's not preventable but you can lessen it. Be rested before you fly. If you can sleep on the plane, sleep. Drink enough juice or water. Don't drink alcohol or coffee. For every hour of time difference you need one day to fully recover. For example in my case it is 9 hours difference and it should be 9 days but it's fewer (3-4). After I land in the morning I usually sleep for about two hours (I won't fall asleep on the plane due to uncomfortable seat) and then sightsee and then go to sleep at night. If you sleep all day after you land you probably won't be able to sleep at night and jet lag will last longer.

Posted by
32324 posts

Barbara, If this is your first trip to Europe, I'd highly recommend pre-reading Europe Through The Back Door, as that will answer a lot of your questions. A few comments (in the same order as your questions): > Compression Socks - that's difficult to answer without having a few details on your medical history. Do you currently wear these? Do you have an health issues that may require Compression Socks? > I normally pack a couple of Energy Bars for "emergency use", but rarely have to use them. I find the airline food isn't too bad most of the time, so I haven't needed snacks. > Everyone handles jet lag differently so the solutions will vary. Many travellers find that after arriving in a new time zone, it's important to get lots of fresh air, lots of sunshine and stay awake until about 9 pm or so and then go to bed early. I've tried a natural product called No Jet Lag, but haven't reached a conclusion yet on whether it works, or just "takes the edge" off (check the Magellans website to see the product). > I do carry a "travel wallet", but it only contains a bit of "daily cash". Valuables and Passport are kept in a Money Belt. > Camera - difficult to answer unless you can provide some further details: do you have a Camera now and if so, what type; what sort of things do you plan to photograph in Europe; are you comfortable with more complicated Cameras? I carry both a DSLR and a P&S. > I'll leave the "Security Purse" question to the ladies. However, you'll need to be extremely careful if carrying a Purse at all, as they're easily stolen. > I normally have at least €100 on-hand for travel, just to cover expenses until I get settled in the first city. I obtain more from ATM's as required. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you, All, so much for taking your time to answer! I will, indeed consult the Europe Through The Back Door, section, as well. I appreciate you sharing your expertise!

Posted by
134 posts

Camera: the lightest one that does what you want it to. The weight might be very small but when you start lugging it around it is like a molehill turning into a mountain. Money: If you have to pay for the use of a toilet, it is usually 50 cents. So if I get a 50 cent coin, I hang on to it until needed. Jet Lag: I always have jet lag flying East (opposite of the way the sun travels) and never have it flying West. But I do the usual things in an attempt to lessen it. 1. Arrive at the airport rested. (Don't wait to pack the day before you leave.) 2. Don't drink alcohol or caffiene. Do drink lots of water and juice.
3. I have been told by someone who has flown more than 1.5 million miles to change your routine to the new time zone as fast as possible and that if you arrive during daylight--go sit or walk in the sun. This has not worked real well for me. I can not override the need to sleep a couple of hours after I arrive.

Posted by
1976 posts

Jetlag is always much worse for me when I fly west (home) then east (Europe). After my first night in Europe I'm completely on European time, even if I only slept 3 hours that night. But when I get home, it takes a week for jetlag to wear off. This may be partly psychological - the trip is over and it's back to the boring daily routine. A friend in Germany told me that when he comes to the U.S., jetlag isn't an issue; it gets him when he goes home.

Posted by
10545 posts

I experience the same thing that Sarah does. I hit the ground running when I arrive in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter). I suffer for days, and at times up to a week, when I get home.

Posted by
2842 posts

We've only just started o fly in 2009 in our mid-fifties. A good friend advised us to after an overnight flight to simply get to our hotel, shower up, and get out and wander in the daylight even if bleary, and then go to bed early. Not too hard since an early dinner and a beer and the eyes are clanging shut. This works great. We had along night's sleep each time and were comfortably on European time for the duration of the trips (1.5 to 2 weeks).
The odd adjustment has been coming home. For whatever reasons, not the first night when it's been a long day and we are tired, but for the next few nights, comes 2AM Eastern time, our bodies want to think it's 8AM and get up and do our normal functions, and get on with the day. We have not yet figured out how to make that disappear faster. Luckily my wife is a school teacher, and I am retired, and we are doing this in the summer, so we can live with it. And BTW--avoid any caffeine, alcohol or pharmaceuticals on the plane, really helps. If you knock yourself out for much of the flight you may find it difficult to then get to sleep early the first night.

Posted by
32324 posts

Larry, "And BTW--avoid any caffeine, alcohol or pharmaceuticals on the plane" Unfortunately, I REALLY like my Coffee so there's no way I'll do without that even on flights. I'm not sure it really has an affect one way or the other on my jet lag (at least in my case).

Posted by
2842 posts

Re note about caffeine: I am extremely sensitive to caffeine, and found that it the ear-pressure problems I had on my first trip were much less without the coffee and coke I had on that first outbound flight set. Also, if trying to stay awake for appx. 32 hours hours (7AM EDT to start, to 8PM European time), I don't want the unavoidable crash when the caffeine wears off.