Please sign in to post.

Schengen Visa

I will be one day over my 90 when I leave. If I leave the schengen area for one day will that put me at 90 days?

Posted by
12172 posts

If I understand you correctly, yes. One day outside of Schengen will keep you under the 90 days within a 180 day window. I would keep a receipt from my hotel to show that you stayed a night outside of the Schengen countries - just in case it comes up. I would keep the evidence around even after you get home, wherever you keep your vacation momentos.

Posted by
23297 posts

Personally I would stay out a couple days just to prevent any type of delay that might put you over the limit. This is a very tricky area. A few months ago a father posted that his daughter was fine $500 for being one day over. And others claim they over stayed by days and weeks with no problems. I think with all of the terrorists concerns, heighten security, etc. that the checks are tighter and less forgiving than they once were.

Posted by
8 posts

Good point, I think I'll go to Portugal for a couple days :)

Posted by
32216 posts

Travis, Which countries are you visiting? If you'll be visiting the U.K. at any point, AFAIK it's not part of the Schengen zone.

Posted by
8 posts

I'm in Granada, Spain until December 17 and I was thinking of loosing my extra day by going to Morocco or, as of recently, maybe back up to the U.K. I was also informed by border patrol that I should be able to just pay 60 euro or so to extend my visa which seems to be the least expensive option, but we'll see. Here's a map of the Shengen countries: http://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries

Posted by
12172 posts

Yes, you can get a tourist visa (as I recall they are for up to six month visits). If you go the visa route, you need to get your visa before you show up by visiting a consulate or mailing your passport off to get it stamped. As far as I know, it's not an option you can simply do on your 91st day in-country.

Posted by
295 posts

Travis, I'm the dad whose daughter overstayed her visa by 3 days...500 euro fine. It's all computerized now and they will catch you at the airport. The fines are high, and worse, they can delay you until your flight leaves and make you take the next flight regardless of expense to you. They can also block you from entry into the Schengen area for up to 10 years, but I've not heard anyone getting this penalty - I think they may reserve it for overstayers who have been working.

Posted by
8 posts

Yeah, I'm planning on going to Gibraltar for a couple days on Friday so that should do the trick.

Posted by
295 posts

That's a very creative solution! Watch out for the monkeys.