Please sign in to post.

GPS Question

I have a Garmin that actually belongs to my employer. I have taken it to Europe twice. For my trip to Ireland I bought a "chip" (sorry, don't know the technical name) from someone, and for the Continent I borrowed one from a co-worker who was issued the same GPS. I am now considering buying a GPS for my husband, and was wondering which would be better, considering it will be taken to Europe. Should I buy a regular GPS and buy a Europe "chip", or should I get one pre-loaded with the European maps? I am concerned with price, but also with the mapping function. Help!

Posted by
1022 posts

My Garmin Nuvi was loaded with USA, Canadian and European maps which can be updated online. It works well in Europe and in the States. I don't know about chips.

Posted by
10545 posts

Tex, what model do you have? Where did you buy it? It seems that not many places stock the GPS's with the European maps pre-loaded.

Posted by
334 posts

We purchased Europe maps to download to our Garmin handheld GPS. The "chips" may be SD cards with the maps loaded - newer Garmin units have micro SD slots for more memory. All of our maps are on our desktop computer and we only download onto the GPS the areas we really need for any given trip with any waypoints pre-set. We also use it here, so you don't just want a Europe GPS that may not have US on it.

Posted by
1022 posts

Garmin Nuvi 670 which my wife gave me as a birthday present two years ago. I didn't think we needed one, but apparently she got tired of navigating on our trip to France in '08, so my "present." lol She got it on Amazon. I've grown to like it.

Posted by
4412 posts

WHAT?!? You toted our tax dollars all over Europe?!? Totally not cool ;-) "For my trip to Ireland I bought a "chip" (sorry, don't know the technical name)" THAT would be a french fry LOL! (wiping a tear away - I crack myself up!) In case you haven't picked up on this yet, I got nuthin' of any substance for you.

Posted by
10545 posts

Eileen, shhhhh......you are not to divulge who my employer is. If you do....well, I'll have to Okay, I stopped myself from finishing that sentence. But, you know what I was going to say!

Posted by
12313 posts

I have a TomTom that came preloaded with Europe and North America (plus free updates for a year). It's probably cheaper to buy one that comes preloaded than buy a GPS plus a memory card for Europe. Since you already know how to use a Garmin, you would probably prefer those.

Posted by
629 posts

We have a Garmin Nuvi with North American maps. We purchased a Europe 2010 card off of Craig's List for $50. The speed that electronics change nowadays we thought a basic unit for a good price would be the way to go. My friend purchased his Garmin when they first came out and it is HUGE compared to the new ones. Our unit is the size of a small camera, not too expensive and very easy to pack along with us.

Posted by
10545 posts

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll find some Black Friday specials. Even better, a Black Friday special online so I don't have to actually go into a store and deal with the crowds!

Posted by
850 posts

I would also get one with the Europe maps preloaded.
The TomTom newer models that have the Europe maps are the: XXL 540 TM WTE (World Traveler)series. Be sure not to confuse it with the XXL 540S or other 540M series that do not show world traveler or WTE by the model name. Those would only be of N.America and Canada. The older model TomTom's with Europe Maps preloaded are the: GO 910, 920, 930&930T. Maybe one more but I do not know that model number. The current Garmin series that have Europe Maps are the: 2370LT, 1370T, 275T, 775T. Check with Amazon and put in the specific model number and see what they have to offer.

Posted by
989 posts

Best Buy has at least three GPS on sale on Black Friday. I think you can get most of their sale items online, Friday morning, at maybe 3 am or some such time.
bfads.net has all the good store ads.