Please sign in to post.

Venice to Interlaken

Hello, I am due to be travelling from Venice to Interlaken (one day) in December. Can anybody advise me on the best way of doing this. eg. car rental (time? Distance?) or train.? There will be two of us making the journey. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Carmen

Posted by
32213 posts

Carmen, Especially in December, travel by train would be absolutely the best method (IMHO). Travel by car will take longer, and if you rent the vehicle in Italy and drop in Switzerland, there could be a substantial]/u] fee for dropping outside the country of origin. Is Interlaken your final destination, or will you be travelling elsewhere in the Berner Oberland? For a trip from Venice to Interlaken, this is the route I'd use: Depart Venezia Santa Lucia at 07:50, arrive Interlaken Ost at 14:28 (travel time 6H:38M, two changes at Milano Centrale and Speiz, reservations compulsory for two legs, which will be included in the cost of P-P tickets). There's another train with available with a slightly shorter travel time, but it has three changes. Of course, schedules are subject to change, but this will provide an idea of that particular trip. Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Ken! Appreciate your advice. We are stopping in Interlaken for a few days and then onto Lucerne and Zurich also. Would you recommend booking these tickets before we arrive in Italy or can it wait until a few days beforehand? ** I notice you are from Vernon - such a cute and friendly little town. I have some of the fondest memories up at the gorgeous SilverStar Mountain.

Posted by
32213 posts

Carmen, I never pre-book rail tickets, so I'd suggest just buying them in Italy. If you're going to be in Venice for a few days, there's at least one Travel Agent there (listed in the Guidebook as I recall), which would save a trip to the rail station. Thanks for the compliments on Vernon! Hopefully it's still considered "friendly". I believe the Silver Star cross-country trails opened for the season today, and the downhill should be opening soon.