Please sign in to post.

Royal Wedding

We are holding tickets for a UK tour leaving London on April 23 BUT do not have passage to London as yet. If there is a royal wedding that weekend, will we ever get tickets from Paris on the Wednesday prior? I was hoping to take the Eurostar from Paris but cannot make reservations this far in advance. Should we book a flight and be done with it?

Posted by
2776 posts

They are talking about spring or summer and most likely in the summer it will probably be in June or July and it will be on a weekday...Monday thru Friday. They do not have Royal weddings on a weekend. When his parents annouced their engaged it was in February and they were married in the end of July. They have mentioned that it might be near that time. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by
3428 posts

I'd wait a bit. The wedding is more likely to be later in the year. They need a LONG time to plan and put together such an event. It will most likely be in late August or September. I imagine that we will hear a date within the next month.

Posted by
1986 posts

I doubt that many of us on this site will be invited. However if you are lucky enough to be in London that day you will get to find a spot on the side walk with all the Brits and yell and cheer as they drive past. Would be a special sight. But should only disrupt one day around Buckingham Palace and (probably) Westminster Abbey.

Posted by
9110 posts

Understand that most of the invitees will probably not travel by common train. Also undertand that the average French person will not give a whit about a weddiing in London. Find something else to worry about.

Posted by
15090 posts

While no date has been set, neither has location. There's now talk the wedding will be at Windsor Castle. BTW....Prince Phillip's 90th birthday celebration is in June and Prince Albert of Monaco gets married in July (in Monaco). Either way, you'll see some disruption in traffic on the day of the wedding but that's about it. The Eurostar from Paris will not book up because of it.

Posted by
908 posts

The Telegraph is reporting that the "preferred" date for the wedding is on a weekday during the last week of April. So getting from Paris to London on the Wednesday before Easter shouldn't be any more difficult than it might otherwise be.

Posted by
780 posts

The week before and after Easter is always busy in France and Britain since that's the 2 weeks that schools & Universities are out for their "Spring Break". Field trips galore, museums & the underground packed with rowdy teens & you can't swing a hamster without hitting a tourist. I made the mistake of going once during that time and never will again! I am going in March 2011.

Posted by
1883 posts

Announced today -- April 29. Plan accordingly!

Posted by
990 posts

We were in London for the royal wedding of Charles and Diana back in 1981. We steered clear of the Westminster area the day of, but other than that, the major impact was all the lovely banners all over the town commemorating the wedding. (We were getting married in the outskirts of London the following month, so we pretended they were all for us!)

Posted by
1829 posts

When C&D got married we went in to London the night before to see the firework display in Hyde Park. It was a lovely warm early summer night and there were impromptu street parties in many places along the wedding route including the front of St Pauls. Despite seeing many people having a drink I saw no drunkeness or bad behaviour just people enjoying themselves. Traffic was at a standstill because of the mass of people spilling on to the roads. Thousands of people spent the night along the route in order to gain a good viewing spot Whether it will be the same again who knows but we do like a good show! But I suspect that the emphasis on security these days may curtail some of the more impromptu celebrations.