Please sign in to post.

Travel to Europe

What the best way to travel to Rome for 4 nights, Athens 2 nights then to Florence for 4 nights. Travel agent ? tour package or start searching the web? Talking first two weeks of May 2011. What's a good ball park figure to look for?

Posted by
23278 posts

Wow, kind of an open end question that could take hours to answer. Without knowing you age, travel experience, etc. it is hard to make a recommendation for what is best for YOU. First, you really need to spend some time with guide books so that you can ask specific question. You might read, Europe Through the Backdoor. You need a better sense of what you want to do. Most people on this site will recommend doing it yourself because most people here are experienced travelers. Rome, Florence, Athens is an odd travel pattern given that Athens is a two hour air flight from Rome and will add some cost to your trip. For you time period I would consider focusing on Italy and save Athens for another time. One way to save a little time and money is an open jaw ticket into Rome and home from Milan.

Posted by
32213 posts

Juan, My comments are much the same as Frank mentioned. Athens is a considerable distance from your other two locations, so you'll need to add the better part of a day for travel times. If you definitely want to visit the cities you listed, a better sequence would be to fly inbound to Milan, train to Florence, train to Rome and then budget air to Athens. Return home from Athens. Of course you could do that trip in the reverse direction also. I also agree that it would be a really good idea to pre-read Europe Through The Back Door as that will provide you with a lot of information for planning your trip. You can easily plan the trip yourself using the Internet and Guidebooks (I use Rick's books extensively in planning trips). The books provide lots of details on Hotels, transportation, sightseeing, etc. I normally use a Travel Agent to book trans-atlantic flights but many here use internet booking sites - your choice. I don't know of any "tour packages" that cover those particular three cities. If this is your first trip to Europe and you feel that you might be more comfortable with a tour, have a look at the ETBD tours on this website (they're excellent!). Happy travels!