Please sign in to post.

CPAP Machine

I am planning on doing some traveling on my own in Scotland, Ireland and England. I use a CPAP machine and want to know what equipment I may need(transformers, adaptors, etc) in order to get proper power to my machine.

Posted by
32212 posts

Kenneth, Before commenting on "transformers, adaptors, etc." it would help to have further information on the spec's of the CPAP machine. These will be listed either on the machine or on the power supply. Look for the Input Voltage ratings. For travel in the U.K., you'll most definitely need the appropriate Plug Adapter. THIS is the type you'll need for travel in the U.K. I've shown the grounded model, however if the CPAP machine doesn't use a grounded Plug, you can substitute the ungrounded Plug Adaptor (which is a few dollars cheaper). One point to note about power outlets in the U.K. is that these often have a small Switch and Fuse at the outlet. When connecting appliances, it's necessary to ensure that the Switch is "On".

Posted by
101 posts

Hi Kenneth, First thing, either check with the supplier where you got your machine or Google its brand & model number to get to the manufacturer's website and then to its owner's manual. It should have a section on traveling with the machine that will let you know if it has its own transformer. Mine does, so all that's required is a plug adaptor, as Ken displayed. If yours does require an external transformer, the specs will let you know how large a load the transformer will need to handle.
BTW- if it's been a while since you've flown with your machine, TSA recently stopped doing the swabbing during the inspection process. Now it's like your laptop- take the business part of it out of the case & send it through separately & that's it.

Posted by
45 posts

Kenneth: If your CPAP machine is of any recent vintage it should be dual voltage. Check the specifications on the machine. It is bossed or permanently affixed somewhere. It should read 110/220 volt input. If it is dual voltage, all you need is the plug adaptor as you would use for any other electrical device. You will not need the transformer. I travel with a CPAP machine and have taken it to Europe. The only other advice I have is to take an extension cord with you as often times the electrical outlet is not next to the bed. I carry a 12 foot cord and have used it several time in Europe. So, sleep in peace. It is good to know that TSA is no longer swabing CPAP machines. This will probably get CPAP users through the security line in half the time.

Posted by
655 posts

I second the note about including an extension cord. This is particularly true if you are planning to stay in B&Bs where the outlet may be some distance from the bed or nightstand. I carry a 16 guage one. Eight feet should be long enough. Alternatively, an extra long hose is helpful but harder to carry.