Please sign in to post.

Florence Italy

A regular visit to Galleria Uffizi how long it takes, How about the The Accademia Gallery?
Thank you.

Posted by
10344 posts

This will vary with the person and their interest in these collections of art. Rick Steves, in his Self-Guided Tours of Europe's Top Museums, describes a 2-hour tour of the Uffizi; that's 2 hours once you get into the first gallery described in his tour. I think many people on a first time visit to the Uffizi would want to spend more like 3 hours. Someone with a more than average interest in Italian Renaissance painting could easily spend more time than 2 hours in the Uffizi, as some experts say this is the greatest single collection of Italian Renaissance painting. He also describes a tour of the Accademia that, he says, takes 30 minutes if you basically just want to see David and the Prisoners; or 1 hour if you want to linger (it's a small collection).

Posted by
1976 posts

As others have said here, 3-4 hours is a good amount of time to allow yourself for museums. If you aren't an art person, you'll probably take less time. I have a degree in art history but I get "museumed out" after about 4 hours too. If you'd like to see "Florentine" art but don't feel like going to a major museum, you could try the San Marco Monastery, which has a number of frescoes painted in the monks' cells by the 15th-century artist Fra Angelico.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for all answers,this will be my second time in Florence, I totally forgot all details bout those visits and obviously thing are different now. I am so excited like the first time. Thanks to all.
ray

Posted by
1068 posts

It takes 2-3 hours to see the Uffizi, but getting in the problem. Even if you have tickets, it is pretty structured....don't arrive too early--and DO NOT arrive late. The Accademia is (as stated in an earlier post) much, much smaller. It doesn't take long to see, maybe an hour if you go to their musical instruments collection etc. I would advise getting your tickets before you go as waiting for tickets and waiting to get in seems a bit much. Enjoy

Posted by
134 posts

The first time I went to the Uffizi, I felt rushed at 3 hours. So, the next time I had the chance to see the Uffizi again, I allotted a whole day. But I found out that I can only take in about 4 hours of museum per day, any museum. The Accademia has less stuff and most people spend their time looking at the David. If you like art, think about the Pitti Palace.

Posted by
138 posts

In '08 my daughter and I were in Firenza (Florence) and had neglected to buy advance tickets. We went an hour earlier than opening-time and there were five other people in line. True, we had to wait an hour, but it was cool and quiet and we actually had fun chatting with the others (they were from three different countries). We got in ahead of most of the people with advance tickets. And this was before the economic down-turn so Florence was packed with tourists.
I agree, time varies. My daughter, who is an art major, was a wonderful guide, we were easily in there three hours, enjoying every minute. My sister says she can't get out of art museums fast enough.

Posted by
12172 posts

I went through the Uffizi in late October. Even then the place was pretty full and we stood in line the entire time as the slow procession worked it's way through the museum. I would plan to spend half a day there. During that time you will see many recognizable masterpieces and a ton of lesser works. We were glad for reservations at Uffizi because there was a long line outside waiting to get in. The Accademia is different. Again you want reservations but your stay depends on how long you want to see David. Even with a pretty good study of the sculpture, you probably won't stay very long. The line of unfinished sculptures leading to David are interesting but won't take too long.

Posted by
182 posts

get your tickets in advance. you will pick them up across from the regular entrance. regardless of what was stated earlier, you will get in quicker, because you have a seperate entrance from the same day ticket buyers. plan on at least 4 hours. i have spent 30 minutes in front of one painting. yep, the museum is that good. you will be amazed at how many paintings you recognize from everyday life. accademia is much lighter, it is all about david. i probably have spent an hour with david and half an hour with the rest. worth it, but not the uffizi. get your tickets now. have fun, be safe.