Please sign in to post.

Venice Italy

Have only one day in Venice (Sat Nov 13th) - whats the best way to spend the day & get as much as we can?

Posted by
11322 posts

Rick Steves has a Venice in One Day plan in his book, but I'd suggest a tour with a tour company, such as Walks Inside Venice "Venice for Beginners." That way you will see and learn much in 3 or 4 hours, and still have time to wander on your own.

Posted by
100 posts

I would not want to miss the view from St Mark's Campanile and it shouldnt take all that much time. Having only one day is a real challenge for you and Laurel is correct,a tour is a good choice.

Posted by
3313 posts

St. Mark's and the Doge's Palace if you have limited time. Those two places are the essentials.

Posted by
1113 posts

Get a good guidebook, of course, I recommend RS. We had 1 day in Venice just a few weeks ago. We were with a tour group but spent the day on our own. We left the group at St Mark's Square, it was raining so we had a chance to walk on the tables that they set up for people to walk on. It was so crowded that we got away and followed Rick's walk to the Frari Church. It takes you deep into nontouristy Venice. You'll notice restaurant prices by half the farther you get away. The route takes you over the Rialto Bridge. We worked our way back to St Mark's around 330 and walked right into the church, no lines. Also get the Vaporetto all day pass and ride up and down the Grand Canal. If I remember a single ride was about 6 euro so get the pass and use it. Walking tours are a great idea also, we didn't do it but maybe others will have that info.

Posted by
655 posts

Most important: a tour that includes a focus on San Marco and the area nearby. Next, walking the lanes and bridges of the city. Finally, as your energy is diminished, do a full circut of the city canals on a vapporetto (public boat). With any time that remains enjoy a casual meal alongside a canal.