Please sign in to post.

Austria and Germany

Just found out that I will be attending a business meeting in Innsbruck, Austria in January. Pland to then travel on my own for about a week after that. Never traveled in Europe in winter. Any suggestions for clothing for both myself and my girlfriend. Plan to go to Munich, Fussen, Berchtesgarden and Salzburg. Any suggestions wouyld be great.

Posted by
3428 posts

Layers! We've been to Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck in the winter. I am allergic to wool, so I took the following: 3 -4 pair cotton blend pants, 3-4 long sleeve Ts/turtlenecks, 2 short sleeve Ts, 2 "big shirts", warm socks, underwear, gloves, hooded scarf, warm,water resistant coat with zip-out liner,tolietries. I am rather warm natured and tolerate cold well. Hubby also took knited long underwear as he is cold natured. Good water resistant shoes with a slip-resistant tred that are comfortable and well broken-in are a must.

Posted by
12040 posts

A scarf, gloves, hat, and warm socks are key, as they cover the areas that radiate the most body heat. Unless you go skiing, you'll probably only be outside for, at most, an hour at a time and probably on the move. Don't bundle up like you're on an Arctic expedition, because you'll start sweating as soon as you go inside.

Posted by
12172 posts

How dressed up do you need to be? Is it business casual or coat and tie? If business casual, you can pack button up long-sleeve shirts and slacks. Wool slacks used to be the norm, now they're mostly cotton or polyester. Wool would be my first choice, then polyester (it travels better and dries faster) before cotton. If coat and tie, bring one wool blazer (wear it on the plane) a couple of dress shirts, ties and slacks to mix and match. Pick shirts and slacks you won't mind wearing when touring. Find a dressy enough pair of shoes that are also decent walking shoes (water proof Eccos are my choice) and can be worn for both meeting and touring. As always bring a water and wind proof shell that packs easily (unlined). Add a couple of warm things that aren't too bulky but can be worn together under the shell when it's really cold. I like a wool sweater and 100 weight zip-up fleece. I always pick and choose until everything fits in one carry-on bag. Here's my visual pack list (for Spring/Fall travel): http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_pack_list/set?id=1440268 When I know it's going to be cold. I like to have a wool scarf, ski cap and gloves that aren't bulky. I also like silk long underwear, they take up no room and will make a big difference when you are out in the cold. If I'm not sure, I pack for Spring/Fall and buy extra warm gear when I arrive - then keep them as a souvenir.

Posted by
331 posts

Gary, look into flannel lined jeans or similar. You can find those at L L Bean for example. It will be cold at that time of year with snow. So, the question is, how do you and your girlfriend deal with the cold? I would take the flannel lined jeans, Doufold longjohns, a turtleneck or mock turtleneck, earband, gloves and water PROOF shoes. Not water resistant, there is a difference. I tend to be on the warm side and will usually be without a coat while my wife is bundled up. Check world weather websites and decide what is best for you. Great travel choices by the way!

Posted by
9363 posts

I lived in Salzburg in the winter, and unless I went skiing I never needed more than what I would need here in Illinois for a winter day. I certainly never wore long underwear or flannel-lined jeans, just regular jeans, maybe a sweatshirt on top, and a parka and gloves. Of course, coming from TX, YMMV.

Posted by
1633 posts

Just returned from Austria and Bavaria where they were having unusually cold weather. Of course, that could change. We bailed the day before they were going to have snow, our rental car didn't have snow tires. As others have suggested, I would consider the lightweight, silk underwear. Clothes that hug your body provide the most warmth. We had waterproof jackets with us which not only protected us in the rain, but also protected us from the coldit was 2 degrees centigrade a few weeks ago. The morning we left Frankfurt it was 0 degrees. Have fun on your trip!

Posted by
9363 posts

Two degrees C is 36 degrees F, and 0 degrees C is 32. That's not all that cold unless you are going to be out in it all day.