Please sign in to post.

phones

Your travel guide suggests getting a phone in case you need one. I tried to that on our last trip to Italy and found out that one needs a European ID card to get the SIM card for the phone. Also, you don't need a SIM card for each country. One works in all of them.

How does a US citizen get a SIM card to use a phone in Europe without the European ID?

Also, texting works great for calling home. You get up to 891 characters instead of only 160 as in the US. It cost me an average of 0.20 euros to send a message home.

Posted by
1022 posts

I bought a French prepaid sim in one of the Phone House stores using my Texas driver's license. In France, check out Lebara with call rates to the US for 0.09€ /minute.

Posted by
4412 posts

Seth, some have reported the same trouble in both France and Italy (and perhaps other locales not on my travel radar). Try another shop down the road...There have been discussions on different types of SIM/PAYG phones available for purchase in Europe, and the troubles in actually purchasing them...try the Search method listed at the top of the posts ("Get Answers to Your Questions - Searching Rick's Archives"), NOT the one at the top right corner of this page :-(

Posted by
32324 posts

Seth,

Based on your post, I'm assuming you have a quad-band, unlocked GSM Phone?

As mentioned in previous replies, some here have been successful obtaining SIM's in various European countries. However, probably due to anti-terrorism regulations, this seems to be increasingly difficult without E.U. identification (especially for data plans!).

You have a couple of options. You could certainly continue to try obtaining SIM's in Europe, especially at shops in the airport as they may be a bit more "forgiving" in issuing these to tourists. However, note that if you use the phone outside the country where the SIM was issued, you'll be roaming and the rates will be higher. You'll also have to deal with the issue of "topping-up".

Another option you might consider would be to use a SIM from one of the travel phone firms, such as Roam Simple, Call In Europe, Cellular Abroad, Telestial or Mobal. These firms generally use phone plans based in either the U.K. or perhaps Lichtenstein. The rates are consistent regardless of which country you're travelling in. Also, these are usually post-paid plans, which means no worries about topping-up or running out of minutes in the middle of a call. The charges are billed to a credit card, usually at the end of the month, after they've received the summary of charges from the Euro cell network(s). Check the respective websites and have a look at the plans and rates.

I frequently use texting while travelling, and it's a great way to keep the costs down. I don't have a problem staying under the 160-character limit. I only use a basic "flip" so the display isn't large enough to easily accomodate 891 characters anyway, and the displays of the recipient phones would also have a problem handling a large message.

Happy travels!