Please sign in to post.

Paris

My husband and I are going to Paris for a week in April and thinking about renting a studio apartment on Rue Marie Stuart. We speak very little French, will this be a problem for us in this area?

Posted by
5 posts

Yes we do know several phrases and intend to learn more before our trip. Just wondered if that would be enough.

Posted by
2030 posts

I have rented several apartments in Paris, and elsewhere in Europe. I have always rented from owners who spoke English that I could communicate well with via phone or email to set up the rental, and they also had caretakers on site who spoke English as well to meet me at the apartment or contact if there was a problem. I would suggest that you at least have a local contact who can converse in English in case there is a problem. Other than that you should be fine.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for your input. I now think we will be fine. Good point about having a contact who speaks English in case there is a problem.

Posted by
36 posts

Elizabeth:

I would suggest trying to learn a few phrases, or just taking along a phrasebook. I was in Paris this past September with an acquaintance who spoke more than a little French, and I noticed that the natives
were much more friendly and helpful than on past trips when I was with someone who spoke not a jot (or didn't attempt to). The French are like that.
Hope this helps!

Posted by
9420 posts

For any foreign country it is appropriate to learn basic polite words (please, thank you, excuse me, etc) and a few phrases. It's not that "the French are like that", it's polite wherever you go. It's important to be respectful of other cultures.

You say you know a little French... if you know some basic words and phrases I think you will be fine as long as you're polite.

Posted by
83 posts

Your husband and you speak tons more French than what we knew back in April. My husband thought he knew a few phrases, but he froze up and we were without any french most of the time and we did fine. We found the locals were very forgiving as long as you were very polite about not knowing much. They even helped us and laughed with us at our very poor attempt. It may have helped that our 7 year old remembered more and could pronounce things better than his parents. Do not let the language barrier be a problem.