Please sign in to post.

French Strike

Our 1st trip to France for 2 weeks is to begin on Oct.20th. We're a bit concerned about the strikes and how they will affect us. We'll be in Paris for 4 days then rent a car to travel to Normandy, Brittany, and Loire Valley and return to Paris for 3 days. Should we cancel our trip??

Posted by
500 posts

The strikes I have seen while in Europe usually last a day and then they go back to normal and have another one a month later, they don't go on and on like in the US.

Posted by
9363 posts

Marge, you will find current information in the To the West section of the Helpline. Look for the topic "anyone in France now with information about the strikes?". Current updates are being posted there.

Posted by
358 posts

Yes the usual strikes in France are for 1 day only however the latest strikes usually last from 1-5 days. Students are now having sit down protest in the main streets and some roads are being blocked by slow moving trucks. The long flights from Paris to the USA are not affected only the shorter flights within europe. Fortunately the metros were opened and the long lines at the gas station was like in the 70's where gas was in short supply in calif. I was very relieved once I got to CDG airport yesterday as traffic is horrible due to the RER strikes and people having to use their cars into the city.