Please sign in to post.

winter in France

We have purchased airline tickets to travel to Paris on December 14th. We have a departure flight leaving from LHR on the 19th of December. Our original intention was to fly to Paris and commute to Normandy and the surrounding area for three days before taking the train to overnight in London. We are now finding out that some of the hotels, museums and tours will be closed due to the inclement winter weather. We have already been to Paris on holiday and were looking to tour other areas. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to where we can travel in the area and what we can do during the winter/holiday season. Thank you. We look forward to your responses. Janet

Posted by
283 posts

Most of the sites in Normandy never close, as they are public access areas like cemetaries and beaches. I have never heard of museums closing for inclement weather[INVALID]holidays maybe. If you want to see the beaches, you should be fine, I would think.

Posted by
32795 posts

Agree with Sue. But it is true that lots of hotels throughout Europe do close for months at a go in the low season.

Posted by
425 posts

Our hotel (in the Pyrénées) is open 365/365. You may find some establishments close over the Christmas/New Year week and one I know of is shut during August, but I can't imagine many being shut in early December.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for answering my post. We have been told by the Battle Bus Tours that they will probably be closed during December and that the museums and cafes will also be closed. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do while in the area?
We will be in France from December 15 to 19th.

I appreciate your help.

Posted by
8293 posts

Why not just spend those few days in Paris? Normandy, at least the coastal area, seems to have little to offer.