Please sign in to post.

Customs question

I am going to ask my girlfriend the big question during our trip in two weeks. I plan on keeping the ring with me, in my carry-on baggage. Will I have to declare it when I go through customs in Frankfurt when we arrive? I am trying to keep it a suprise and don't want some agent ruining it by going through my bag.

Posted by
94 posts

I would bring the receipt to prove that you bought it in the USA so there is no misunderstanding when you come back through US customs. Eventhough the ring will be on her finger, the beautiful, new case may raise some questions.

Posted by
1986 posts

I second Carol's suggestion. From my experience you are more likely to have questions from American customs. In the old syas Los Angeles would open every bag, and we were advised to carry purchase receipts for everything new/expensive.

Posted by
8942 posts

In Frankfurt, after you show your passport, you pick up your luggage and walk out the door. No one really cares what you are bringing in, so no suitcases opened. They use dogs back in the back to sniff for drugs and that is about all they care about. Have never met anyone who has had to have their luggage checked.

Posted by
10219 posts

Well...we had a different experience in Frankfurt. I'm sure it all depends on what you declare. Four years ago my sister and her husband brought about 10 cartons of cigarettes with them (for their own use - heavy smokers :-(). They made them "pay" for each carton of cigs. They thought they would save money buying them here, and they ended up actually paying for them twice! They didn't looking in my bag or my husband's. If you don't mention the ring they should have no reason to look.

Posted by
38 posts

I suggest you check Frank II's link. You may register any valuable item before you leave the United States avoiding any difficulties on your return.

Posted by
23267 posts

In our experience and my memory is that you always have two choices after existing immigrations [INVALID]- Declare and Non-declare. May also say something abut non-EU but we always select non-declare and walk out. Never been stopped for anything. Just go. I assume the problem with the cigs was that someone decided to declare them. I always find it harder to reenter the US than to leave.

Posted by
8942 posts

Cigs are a taxed item, so of course they would have to either be [INVALID]d or even get confiscated. This is likely in any country. Saw a documentary from the UK, where a woman got a huge fine for trying to bring in cigs. Alcohol is the same. Both items are taxed heavily, thus trying to bring them into a country without paying the tax, other than what you have for personal use, one carton or one bottle or so, is considered smuggling..... Bringing in a personal piece of jewelry is of no interest to customs officials.....Congratulations and good luck! (hope she doesn't read this forum)

Posted by
873 posts

All 3 European airports that I've been to so far have not said or done anything about my bags check my bag on arrival (I only have a carry-on). Just walk through the green "nothing to declare" corridor. There are a couple of guards milling about but they just let you go on without a word...

Posted by
12172 posts

Yes, a receipt to show you purchased it in America will help you on the way home. I would be surprised if they asked about it but there is a chance, however slight..............I suppose you could have a backup plan if they do ask - turn to your SO and propose on the spot - what you lose in romantic setting, you will more than make up in something to laugh about the rest of your lives.

Posted by
14992 posts

I just thought of something we missed....TSA. The ring will probably show up on the screen when your carry-on goes through the machine. Some screeners will let it go but you might get one who wants to make a big deal about it-although they shouldn't. Just be ready to deal with it just in case.

Posted by
1589 posts

Post theft in progress! Andrea, I have to ask: "Four years ago my sister and her husband brought about 10 cartons of cigarettes with them (for their own use - heavy smokers :-()." How long was their trip? This seems like an amazing amount of smokes.

Posted by
791 posts

Make sure you insure it, I've known people who've had valuables stolen out of their checked bags before when flying back here from the US.

Posted by
1357 posts

My experience is the same as Jo's. In the 15 years that we've been flying into Frankfurt, I've NEVER seen anyone at customs. They have the separate doorways for you to go through for nothing to declare, but there's never been anyone there. I'd be more worried about the TSA here before you go. If you get searched, you may want to send your girlfriend over to put her shoes back on while you speak to the agent.

Posted by
668 posts

A point that seems to be missed about the cigarettes v. the ring - the cigs would be consumed in the foreign country; the ring would not, hence the difference. Tourists can take almost anything legal into a country without paying duty provided they are going to leave with it. If you are planning on leaving something, taxes should be paid on it - this includes gifts to residents of that country, though small value items are in most cases exempt. Returning to one's country of origin with "new" items can cause problems, and proof that they were bought in the country of your residence is good to have so you cannot be accused of having bought them while on your trip.

Posted by
4407 posts

Aaron, I agree with the others about registering it and having the receipt with you (I haven't looked at the requirements, but these days maybe you can do most, if not all, of the process online; otherwise, you have to do it at the (international) airport and you'd need the receipt anyway). I don't know how easily you can get away from your SO in order to take care of this...BUT, the biggie that screamed out to me in your post is that you aren't planning to keep the ring in your MONEYBELT! Heck when I travel I keep my jewelry there 24/7 (meaning a pair of hoop earrings...travel lightly). You didn't ask, but be sure to ask The Big Question when the moment is right; that MAY not be when you 'planned' to ask...;-) Have a Fantastic Trip!