Please sign in to post.

ipad

I plan to bring my ipad to Madrid and then Morocco and would like to know if it has the same type of voltage convertor most computers have? I've scoured the Apple website and looked at the technical specs and I don't see it. Does anyone know if I need to buy one of those convertor thingees or will a plug adapter do?

Posted by
1078 posts

The power supply plug on the charger is removable, and you need to buy the plugs that slide into the supply from our good friends at Apple. If I remember correctly, the power supply for an iPad or ipod will not work when plugged into an adaptor.

Posted by
6408 posts

Yes, almost all electronic devices today are made with dual voltage. You will still need a plug adaptor, and I would recommend one that also acts as a surge protector. Mine has four different plugs, so I can use it in various countries and continents. Here's a URL that will show an example of one: http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/ts237.htm

Posted by
17 posts

Look carefully at the ipad charger; it works with 240 volts as well as 120. All you need is the cheap little plug, not the expensive, bulky voltage transformer.

Posted by
250 posts

I just returned from France where I used the iPad extensively - only needed the plug adapter.

Posted by
1170 posts

All you will need is a plug adapter as the charger is dual voltage. Only leave the iPad charging as long as you need to in order to avoid damage from potential surges or voltage spikes.

Posted by
94 posts

Agree with all others. We just returned from England, France, Belgium and all we needed was simple adapter

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am also wondering if anyone had trouble finding wi-fi spots. I didn't purchase the feature that connects like a cell phone so I rely on wi-fi connections. I added Skype to my ipad and I hope to use it in place of a cell phone. Happy Trails to all!

Posted by
1035 posts

I didn't carry mine around with me during the day, so I relied upon hotel wifi. Having wifi is a strong consideration for me when booking lodging. Nice thing with the iPad is that is thin enough that it can be pretty well hidden away in a secret pocket in luggage. I do carry iPhone around (on wifi setting only) and used that when I didn't have hotel wifi. I've had very few times in Europe the past 4 or 5 years I couldn't find wifi somewhere. Although sometimes it means loitering along a sidewalk in front of an area with multiple hotels. Skype worked fine. Skype app for iPad is well done. One of my favorite features is the netflix app. You can stream thousands of movies or tv. After awhile on the road, it is nice to watch English language TV other than the awful CNN international. The GPS feature on the mapping works well too. Many cities have walking directions built in.