Please sign in to post.

Help! need voltage converter in France!

Our voltage converter crapped out on our second day of our trip. What kind of store would we go to to look for one in France? We're in Bayeux - any luck finding one in such a small town? We have a CPAP machine and need to find one today - even if we have to take a train to a bigger town - Caen, etc. Thanks!

Posted by
446 posts

Here is a web page that will at least help you to explain in French what you need. http://www.goyona.com/Transformateur110-220.htm It's the third item shown on the page - CONVERTISSEUR DE TENSION 220 V vers 110V. These transformers come in various wattages (VA). You should check your CPAP machine to see what wattage rating it needs. Good luck!

Posted by
10344 posts

This is a double posting and most of the replies are in the same subject line in the To The West section.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks everyone! Our converter has inexplicably come back to life! We don't know what happened (we did pay our respects at the Bayeux cathedral yesterday, coincidence?)- but we're keeping our fingers crossed! Thanks again for all the help!

Posted by
2092 posts

Molly, are you sure that your CPAP machine isn't 110/220 and that all you need is an adapter rather than a converter?

Posted by
23554 posts

There is a possibility that your converter has an internal overload switch that resets after a period of time. This may be little late but the CPAP machine wattage requirements must match the wattage output (not just volts) of the converter. Also, ask your hotel for a converter. They might just have one or two for the convenience of their guests.

Posted by
45 posts

Molly: I think Darcy may be right. I travel with a CPAP machine. It is dual voltage. That is I can operate it without the need of a converter. I only need the plug adapter so I can plug it into the wall outlet. If your CPAP machine is of recent vintage it probably is dual voltage. You can check this by looking at the fine print on the machine that deals with its electrical attributes. You are looking for the words "Input 110/220 volts" or other words to that effect.