Please sign in to post.

tulips in Holland

When is the best time to go to see the tulips in Holland? We are going next spring and want to make sure that we are during the best week for viewing. Thanks, Jennie

Posted by
32791 posts

do you want to go to Keukenhof, or do you want to cycle or walk through the tulip fields?

Posted by
27 posts

I was hoping we could see the auction and walk the fields. Thanks, Jennie

Posted by
552 posts

Keep in mind that lots of varieties of tulips are being grown throughout the farmlands of the Netherlands. The late-blooming varieties (which tend to be taller and more dramatic) last well into May. The auction house sells everything from Colombian roses to South African protea, with tulips being a fairly small percentage of the mass of blooming color that will astound your senses. Finally, since tulips in the field are being grown for bulb production, the flowers are removed before the plot reaches its eye-catching, full-color zenith. For carpets of color, there's no better viewing than Keukenhof Gardens. As long as it's open, they will have "plunge-planted" for your viewing and photo-snapping pleasure. With all that being said, Keukenhof is open in 2011 from 24 March to 20 May. Chose a date right at the half way point, and you'll be right at the prime. Coincidently, the Flower Parade is, 16 April 2011.

Posted by
32791 posts

Bill has given good advice. Consider how you will get around if you want to go beyond Keukenhof and get into the fields. See them from the train, or take the boat ride right from Keukenhof. If you want to be there at the time of the Corso (parade) plan NOW, and consider where you will stand.

Posted by
2026 posts

We visited Holland the last week of April 2008 and the flowers were magnificent. Spent many, many hours wandering Keukenhof. Missed the parade, but went to Haarlem to see the floats parked there ( fun day, but no great shake I thought). Nigel, what boat ride do you refer to? Much as I love to see new places, Amsterdam and those dam' tulips may lure me back again.

Posted by
32791 posts

Denny, about the boats: I quote from the website:>> ¶Sail around Keukenhof ¶ You have been able to cycle around Keukenhof bulb fields for years, but you can also sail in the so-called 'whisper boats'. These boats are driven by electric engines, are environmentally friendly and are almost silent as they sail through the beautiful surrounding Dutch landscape. The boats that are used are perfectly suitable for sailing through the often shallow water. They are, in fact, old boats that used to be used by gardeners, growers and farmers for all types of work. ¶ The boat trip lasts about 1 hour and guarantees you the best photographs. Per tour a limited number of seats available. Be there in time! ¶ The price is € 7.50 p.p. (excl. Keukenhof entrance)

Posted by
12040 posts

Just go to Keukenhof. The displays are continuously changed, so on any given day, many of the displays will be in full bloom. And, there are some tulip fields in the surrounding area.