Please sign in to post.

Need Help With Itinerary

Planning a trip leaving 11/4 -11/14 (from NYC). Not sure which order; London, Amsterdam, Bruges and Paris. Please help friend recomm. in order I listed Thank you

Posted by
8700 posts

If you're set on going to all four cities, your order is good. Your first day in London (Friday the 5th) will be limited so I recommend that you spend at least two full days there (Saturday and Sunday). On Sunday evening take the Dutch Flyer Rail & Sail from London to Amsterdam (train from London to Harwich, ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, and train from Hook to Amsterdam) and save yourself the cost of a night in a hotel in either London or Amsterdam. Leave London at 20:00 and arrive in Amsterdam at 10:22. Book here: www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland. Spend the remainder of Monday and all of Tuesday in Amsterdam. On Wednesday take an early morning train to Bruges, stop off for the remainder of the day, and then take an evening train to Paris. Sleep in Paris Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Fly home on Sunday the 14th. For a more relaxed trip with a better balance between travel time and sightseeing time, limit yourself to London and Paris. Or you could add Bruges as a day trip from Paris.

Posted by
52 posts

Thank you. Do you think this itinerary would work: London 11/4 - 11/7, Paris 11/7 - 11/10, Bruges 11/10 - 11/12, Amsterdam 11/12 fly home on 11/14?

Posted by
1986 posts

London is very quiet on Sundays. Depends what you want to see. (i lived there for a few years).Otherwise the order makes sense

Posted by
3428 posts

I think you will find that you really will want more time in London. I'd second the advice to limit yourself to 1 or 2 cities and do day trips. London and Paris make a good combination because of the Eurostar, though you might not get the cheaper fares for that at this late date. London and Amsterdam also make a good pairing. Or Amsterdam and Bruges, or Bruges and Paris. Many people think they can see and do more in a short time in many European destinations. However, many of us here feel that you need time to fully "absorb" a place. Also, cities like London and Paris have LOTS to see and do. Instead of getting just a little taste of several places, why not enjoy a full helping of just a couple? Personally, London and Amsterdam are the 2 I would pick. Of course I could spend 10 days in London alone and not get bored (throw in a couple or three day trips maybe)- and I've been more than 40 times already.

Posted by
1358 posts

I'd agree with just doing 2 cities in that period of time with possible day trips. I've spent a whole week in Paris itself and still wanted more time. I'm assuming that you're flying on the 4th, arriving in London on the 5th, and leaving on the 14th. That only gives you 9 days on the ground.

Posted by
307 posts

I think Tim makes some good suggestions, especially the Rail and Sail package. I used that service and it's great. The cost is reasonable( cheaper than another nights stay in either London or Amsterdam, the ferry is nice, you get a good nights sleep, and then it's only an hour or so train ride to Amsterdam in the morning( you arrive around 9:30 or so if I recall.

Posted by
52 posts

Thank you for your suggestions. This is only our 3rd time in Europe and I need your help. So, I think it will be Paris and London. How far in advance do I need to reserve trans (rail) to Paris from London? I would like your suggestions for Hotels and areas to stay in London+Paris, best area to walk? Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks

Posted by
8700 posts

Book your London-Paris Eurostar tickets NOW at www.eurostar.com. The longer you wait, the higher the fare. Be aware that you are required to check in at least 30 minutes before departure and you will go through security.

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks everyone. Need your help on hotels and location. London: The Pelham South Kensington? Paris: Hotel des Grands Hommes near the Pantheon; Hotel Relais Bosquet near Rue Cler area? Your suggestion on where to stay would be a great help Thanks