Please sign in to post.

weather in Spain

We are interested in visiting Spain in February or March for about two weeks, but worry that the weather will not be favorable to sightseeing. What are the best areas to get the sun and still enjoy city life?

Posted by
9110 posts

Stay off the north coast, but take a rain jacket anway.

Posted by
800 posts

Jeanette - a quick search for weather averages around Spain confirmed what our experience was this past March. So, if you're really looking for some sunny "beach" weather, not going to happen, far as I can tell in Feb or (I assume) very early March. We were there this past March from the 4th to the 15th. We flew in and out of Madrid. Our weather was: Segovia - snowy Sevilla - rainy but certainly warmer - high maybe 70 for a few hours, but rainy much of the time. Ronda & Granada - bright but coldish - highs in the 60's (when it didn't rain). Madrid - cold (50's & 60's) but sunny & bright - actually quite nice for walking around during the day, but pretty chilly at night. Sevilla seems to have the best averages - highs of 70 in March. We LOVED our trip in March and wouldn't hesitate to go back there at that time again. It could be warmer, I doubt it would be much colder, but it was great to have no crowds and I know I'd suffer more in Spain during the summer than I did in the "winter".

Posted by
23313 posts

Your best opportunity for better weather will be southern Spain and along the Med. About ten years we were in Madrid in early Madrid and had snow and chilly weather. Parka in the AM and short sleeves by PM. The weather will always be favorable for sightseeing if you are prepared with some clothing you can lay for warmth when need and good rain protection. And, besides, it doesn't rain inside.

Posted by
182 posts

was in spain this past march, about the 15th through the 27th. barcelona sunny low 70's no rain until last night. granada, cloudy, hard rain both days. toledo, sunny, higher 70's. madrid, sunny and 60 then rain. prepare for rain and i think you will be fine. the weather was almost exactly what rick's book indicated it would be. have fun, be safe.

Posted by
951 posts

6 years ago, I went to Spain for 17 days Mid Feb to beginning of March. I went to Barcelona, Figueres, Valencia, Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, and Madrid. The skies were blue 97% of the time.......but it was FREEZING. I made a big mistake and brought a trench coat material jacket. What I should have brought was a winter coat. Temperatures were close to 10-20degrees Fahrenheit, 90% of the time. My arrival in Barcelona started in the 40-50's. And it went downhill from there. I did not see snow, but after I left Valencia, they received some snow, which was reported as a first in 100 years. I believe it was a freak incident but a bad lesson to learn when you did not come prepared. I counted one night in Granada; I had 7 shirts on. I even slept in my coat and jeans because the hostel had inadequate heat.