Please sign in to post.

Italy in October

For our 25th anniversary we're taking a cruise from Barcelona to Italy in October. What do I pack for both touring big cities and cruising (3 formal nights). Do we need waterproof shoes in Mid-October?

Posted by
1893 posts

I've been in Rome in November. Cooler temps, but no rain the days/nights we were there. Do bring a rain jacket. You might get a rain shower, but I don't see the need to pack special footwear just in case. Wear clothing that you would wear here for a day out. Jeans are OK this time of year, one pair should be plenty. Night time on the cruises....formal nights don't need really formal wear, perhaps find a "sparkly" top or two and pair that with nice black pants or a skirt.

Posted by
12313 posts

The weather is likely to be comfortable days and cool nights with possible rain, but not like up north where water-proof shoes are necessary. I love this time of year in the area. For touring, pants or capris will work well with a comfortable casual shoe. Keep a light sweater and water-proof shell handy when the weather calls for it.....On formal nights, a black cocktail length dress is plenty. A lightweight knit polyester works and takes up no space/weight in your luggage. Pack a simple pair of black sandals (also chosen to be lightweight) and you will be fine, you can add a scarf or costume jewelry to get a different look without carrying three outfits.

Posted by
12313 posts

For the husband, tour daytime with a button up shirt, dockers style pants and casual shoes. The only additional clothes he needs for a cruise is a blazer and tie. I add a black microfiber blazer, make sure one pair of pants is black and bring black plain-toed walking shoe as my main shoe. One of my shirts is plain white and I pack a formal looking tie (solid black, red or silver) and matching pocket square. It's not a tux but usually looks more formal than two-thirds of the men on the cruise. On our last trip I took out my backup pair of brown trail running shoes because SAS only allows 18 pounds. I should have kept them because SAS never weighed my bag and they would have come in handy many times.....Here is my visual packing list (I doubt you will need a fleece for the Mediterrainean) to get some ideas: http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_pack_list/set?id=1440268.........Have a great anniversary!

Posted by
116 posts

I have traveled in Europe in all months, even December. My favorite is a black Chico's 'traveler' set. You can wear Patagonia thin underwear under the pants, remove them whenever you need them & stuff them in a purse. They are nice enough to wear for a formal dinner as well..just change shoes & accessories.