Please sign in to post.

Versailles on a Sunday

Planning on visiting Versailles on Sunday in order to enjoy the fountains. Question: Should I purchase tickets online in advance or just wing it that Sunday morning? Also is the train out from Paris as easy as it seems and how far away is the palace? Thanks for all your help! This forum is incredible.

Posted by
691 posts

We just bought our tickets at the TI office in Versailles. You walk by it on your way to the main entrance, they charge 2 euros more, but there is not line up. It is easy as it seems to get to Versailles, i like this link, it explains well how to do it. http://parisbytrain.com/paris-to-chateau-versailles-by-train/ I would say that the main entrance is at the most a 5 min walk from the train station.

Posted by
5678 posts

Ah, Versailles on a Sunday..boy does this bring back memories! I'm afraid may experience is ancient and you'll need to wait for more recent visitors to comment. But, I made it out there as student with no money on Easter Sunday many, many years ago. The Internet didn't exist yet, but If you know what day you are going, why not buy your ticket in advance? I'm sure it will reduce your time in lines. And, BTW, Versailles was absolutely packed on Easter Sunday. ; ) Pam

Posted by
9420 posts

We bought our tickets at the RER station in Versailles when we arrived this past July, on the busiest day of the week for Versailles (Tuesday), and had no problem. You don't need to buy tickets in advance. Rick gives perfect directions on how to get there, it's very easy.

Posted by
668 posts

If you are going to other museums, get a museum pass and you can avoid the lines as well as save money.

Posted by
11507 posts

There are several ways to prepurchase tickets as other posters have mentioned. Whatever you do,, prepurchase, The lines can be hours long, really. The RER is easy to get to Versailles, it is the last stop so you can't "get lost" and its only a 5-10 minute walk to palace, and you will know where to go( since most people on train will be going there too!)

Posted by
8 posts

Thank You everybody! Great suggestions/advice; as I mentioned earlier I enjoy reading all the different posts. Leaving in 7 days, just have to get through this working for a living thing, urgh.... thanks again.