Please sign in to post.

getting to venice

I'm arriving in Venice from Vienna Oct 5th and staying for 3 nights before my cruise. How do I get to my hotel from the Marco Polo airport to a closer hotel to the Maritima port.
I'm having a hard time looking for a hotel in the area. Please
assist me. Thank you.

Posted by
132 posts

I see no one's answered. So I'll take a stab. See if it helps. I should point out, we didn't take a cruise from there, and the area around the port I haven't been to. But basically there are 2 ways to Venice hotels from the airport. The water bus and water taxi. We walked from the airport to their dock. Took maybe 10 mins. I believe there's also a bus. There are several water buses going to different parts of venice. Depending on where your hotel is.... Our hotel was near St Marks. The water bus took maybe and hour and a quarter to an hour and a half. (It went to Murano first.) Then you walk to your hotel from the stop in Venice. Venice is a confusing city. When we were looking for a hotel in Venice; most hotels seemed to have maps and instructions on getting to them. (Including from the airport.) Study those instructions. And make a copy. If you haven't been to Venice. That ally may really be a street. Some streets are a tight squeeze for two people. (No cars , or motor scooters in Venice.) The other option is a water taxi. If your hotel has it's own dock, they can drop you off at the hotel dock. Or the nearest dock. A water taxi runs about 100-110 E from or to the airport. If your party is big enough it can be cheaper than the water bus. We took the water bus in to Venice and splurged for the taxi on the way out. Of course if you stay on the mainland; there are also land options. but we wanted to stay in Venice. It had a special magic. I hope that helps.

Posted by
65 posts

Whether you take the airport bus or the water "bus" , you will ultimately travel by water to your final destination. Venice is not that big, so getting to the port should be easy from anywhere on the island.

Posted by
6898 posts

From Marco Polo, there are two bus lines that take you to the Piazzale Roma which is also a major vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. About 3E-4E for the bus fare. Once at the Piazzale Roma, there are hotels that are within walking distance of the cruise terminals. But be advised that prices may be a bit higher as they know why you are there. Finally, you don't have to be that close to the port terminal. The cruise ships leave in the late afternoon and you won't have any difficulty taking a vaporetto to the Piazzale Roma stop and taking the 15-minute walk to the ship. One suggestion I will make is the Palazzo Odoni. Fairly close to both the cruise terminals and the Piazzale Roma. Very reasonable rates. http://www.palazzoodoni.it/eng/index.html

Posted by
668 posts

Unless things have changed in the last few years, when we took a cruise from Venice a few years ago, there were no hotels close to the port. It seemed to be an industrial area. You need to get to the Piazzale Roma. There are cabs there which will take you to the port. We did walk there without luggage the previous day to spy out the land and it took us about 20 mins, but on the day of the cruise it was raining, so we took a cab. The vaporetto is easy to use, even with luggage and it will take you to and from your hotel. There is a bus that will take you to P. Roma from the airport.