Please sign in to post.

duty free

Can someone explain duty free? I can carry 1 liter into the US, but I can put as much as I want in my checked luggage. Correct? What about when I am in the airport/airplane, and they are selling duty free items? Is more than 1 liter allowed because I've already gone through security? What if it's ok in europe, but then I have to go through customs in the US?

Posted by
9110 posts

It's a three-part answer:

Duty free happens either after security (you've already separated from checked luggage) or on the airplane. There's no limit, for security purposes, on how much you carry on/off the international flight airplane for these types of purchases.

Once you're back into the US, everything has to go into checked luggage for security restrictions on the amount of liquid (assuming you have another flight to somewhere).

Customs is the last issue. You can bring in one liter duty free. There is no limit on how much you can bring in if it's for personal use. You may have to pay duty on anything in excess of one liter. Declare what you have and see what happens, I've never been charged even when having several bottles. US customs may impose more restrictive rules depending on your state of residence.

Posted by
30 posts

Thank you. I'll be going through customs in Washington DC, then a straight flight to Oregon. I really like the limoncello in Italy. :)

Posted by
16053 posts

For your flight from Washington to Oregon, all of your alcohol will have to go into your checked luggage. On that flight, you're only allowed 3 oz bottles just like any other flight.

And as Ed pointed out, it doesn't matter if you carry or check it, the total amount is what U.S. Customs cares about. And don't forget to declare it. If you don't, and they find it, not only can they confiscate it, but they can give you a hefty fine.

If you do want to purchase from duty free in Europe, make sure you do it AFTER security. And the bottle has to be put in a special wrapper that can't be opened during the flight.

Posted by
12 posts

We had to go through customs in DC before catching our connecting flight home. When you do, you have to claim your luggage and recheck your luggage, which will offer you enough time to pack your duty free in your checked bag.

Posted by
7901 posts

For Limoncello, forget about trying to buy it at the Duty-Free shop at the airport. It will not be a deal and will likely be in a small decorative bottle. Buy it at a producer if you will be in Sorrento, otherwise check out the supermarkets or wine stores.

Posted by
1358 posts

Exactly. Duty free shops are expensive, more than makes up for the taxes you pay. The only thing I've bought in one is chocolate.

Posted by
712 posts

I always thought the limit was 1 liter duty free, but when we went into the duty free shop in Dublin on our way home in July - the people who worked there told us it was by amount of "proof" (i.e. Alcohol content of bottle). They were trying to sell 2 bottles of a cream liquor to us. It was the first time I heard that. I just now did a google search and this what I found - (Maybe someone else can re-confirm this)
"Alcohol - The allowance remains the same; either one liter of spirits or strong liqueurs (over 22 per cent volume), or two liters of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), sparkling wine or any other alcoholic beverage of less than 22 per cent volume. However, you can now combine these allowances, provided that you do not exceed your total alcohol allowance.
For example you could bring in one liter of fortified wine and half a liter of spirits, which is 50 per cent of your fortified wine allowance and 50 per cent of your spirits allowance. Wine, Four liters of still wine can be brought back in addition to the allowances for spirits and fortified wine. Beer, 16 liters of beer can be brought back in addition to the allowances for spirits and fortified wine."

Posted by
16053 posts

Marie, the rules you posted are for the UK. Here's the official information from the U.S. government:

Determining Duty:

One liter of alcohol is allowed duty free regardless of its proof. You can bring in as much as you want as long as you can prove it's for personal use and the state in which you enter the country does not have a limitation.

Posted by
115 posts

You can bring a few bottles of alcohol back with you. If customs says anything, just tell them you had no idea. I always bring back a few bottles of scotch and wine when I travel and have yet to be searched or questioned.

Posted by
12313 posts

You pay duty on anything more than one liter per adult in your party. They have to be checked, unless it's in smaller than 3 oz. containers and fits in a quart bag.

Bring home what you want, within limits, pack it carefully and declare everything you bring back. As far as I know duty free doesn't mean duty free, you will be charged on anything over one liter (per adult). I say within limits because if you bring so much that the customs officer doubts it's for personal use, he/she can make you get an import permit.

Posted by
33479 posts

Ignorance of the law is no defense.

I guess if you're Evan that doesn't apply....

Posted by
136 posts

My experience has been that I can get good deals on high end stuff at duty free, sometimes...make sure you know what you would pay locally...it can be a big hassle to save $2.00 on a bottle of booze...

It is also that duty is very reasonable. Nominal on alcohol and maybe only a few (hundred) dollars on high end jewelry.

If you really want to haul bottles, try to pick up the Styrofoam shipping containers designed for wine/alcohol or even root beer (a company called Sprecher's ships domestically). You'll have to allocate the space in your checked baggage anyway and the Styrofoam far exceeds bubble wrap for that kind of travel.

Finally don't forget that you can put yourself into a checked baggage weight situation with only a few bottles. Happy hunting!