Please sign in to post.

Euro question

I was planning to wait till I reached CDG airport to exchange money through ATM machine. However, after reading another post I realize it will be 1 30am in the States and I might not be able to get access. Should I buy some Euros in advance and if so how do I go about doing that?

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi Nancy, you won't have any problems getting Euro from the ATM machine when you get to CDG. Remember your card can only be connected to a checking account. Have a great trip.

Posted by
9363 posts

Italy seems to be the place where most people have ATM problems. It should be no problem for you in France.

Posted by
78 posts

If the ATM machine is having any type of maintenance update at that time, will I still have no problems?

Posted by
83 posts

ATMs function the same as they do here, and they're run by banks for the most part. So if one is not working, there will be other bank brand ATMs to use - CDG is a major airport. There is no physical money exchanged, by the way, all you are doing is withdrawing from your bank account.

Posted by
23238 posts

I know most recommendation are to wait until you are on the ground and to hit an airport ATM. But for me personally the prudent thing to do is have a 100 E in my pocket when I hit the ground. Buy them at currency exchange in your airport or through you bank. You may pay an 8 to 10% premium but small price to pay for finding the one ATM in hundred that is not working. BUT, I also prefer to only use ATMS that are physically attached to a bank and the bank is open. That way if there is a problem I can walk into the bank and resolve it right now. Having said all of that, I have only encountered one or two ATMs that were not working in the past 15 years and dozens of transactions. Generally I have saved a few Euro from the last trip but if I am short I use the airport currency exchange.

Posted by
79 posts

I don't know if you need 100 euros, but I like to have some euros, generally enough to get yourself away from the airport and cover any immediate needs. For me, this means I'll be taking the leftover euros from my last trip, approximately 35. That will be enough to buy RER tickets into the city from CDG and cover any hunger pangs we have from the long flight. 35 isn't much, and since you'll need a taxi or a shuttle, you'll probably need more. Because it costs so much to exchange currency, I'd take only what you think you'll need: maybe 50-75. It'll cost a lot, but I think it's worth the peace of mind. Good luck!

Posted by
805 posts

I agree, I always advocate having enough for transportation into the city, tips and a meal so that if there is a problem with ATMs or Credit Cards you'll be okay.

Posted by
21 posts

My sister recently had and experince that confirmed for me the importance of having Euros in my pocket when I land. Her little group had to hurry out of the airport to catch a bus to their hotel, the last of the day. Not one of the other persons had bothered to buy Euros prior to leaving home. Her 100E paid for, but just barely, the fare for them all.

While I don't imagine many others to be in this situation, you can't foresee the unusual circumstances that may arise. In you home country, there are any number of ways you could fix such problems. But overseas, without cash, and knowing no one?