Please sign in to post.

Italy/Switzerland

We are two couples planning a return trip to Switzerland and Italy next year for the end of August into September. We would like to spend a week in Wengen and then to Cinque Terre and Tuscany for two weeks. Would the best plan be to fly into either Zurich or Geneva, train to Wengen and then to CT, then rent car for Tuscany and driving back to Zurich (or Geneva)? We are hoping to use airline points, hence the round trip tickets. Is early September too late for Lauterbrennen area? Thank you.

Posted by
77 posts

Things may have changed or may be different on other airlines, but I got an open-jaw ticket into Amsterdam and out of Paris last October on points. This was on Northwest which is now part of Delta; the merger was being processed but I was still using NW's site when I got the tickets. Just a thought that you might be able to avoid backtracking.

Hope someone else can chime in on the timing; I would think it would be fine--hotels would still be open and I wouldn't expect it to be completely snow-covered. Might not be too many flowers left, though!

Posted by
23557 posts

I agree with Kari. You need to consider an open jaw ticket with a return from Milan or Rome. It would be very expensive to drop an Italian car in Switzerland. Driving back may not be the best option. You can get open jaw tickets with airline miles. On our last trip we landed in Amsterdam and came home Rome on United points,

Come join us at our monthly coffee on Aug 21, Panera, Aspen Grove shopping center, 10 AM and we can discuss your ideas in greater detail.

Posted by
6898 posts

Zurich is probably closer by train than Geneva. But, if you fly into Geneva, you can take the Golden Pass scenic train from nearby Montreux to Interlaken Ost. It will take you 6.5hrs-8hrs to get to the CT from Wengen.

A rental car is great for Tuscany but I would suggest turning it in there, take the bus or train to Florence, and then take the high-speed EC train from Florence to Zurich. You'll change trains in Milan.

Posted by
10548 posts

Next month we are flying into Rome and home from Munich. We used Continental airline points for our flights, although our actual flights are on United and Air Canada.

As has been mentioned, you pay a hefty drop charge to rent a car in one country and return in another.

Posted by
17233 posts

Zurich airport is indeed a bit closere, and the airport is very user-friendly. we really enjoy the ride on the train that takes you between terminals, with the sounds of birdcalls, cowbells, and yodeling, plus a surprise hologram.

if you cannot get open jaw tickets with you miles, flying RT to Zurich is not bad. and the suggestion to take the train back, instead of a taking a car from a Italy iNto Switzerland, is worthy of serious consideration.

you can take the fast train from Florence to Milan, and from there to Zurich by the quite scenic Gothard Pass route. we just did this a few weeks ago and it was great.afs. this year the Swiss rail site offered Zurich to Milan tickets for 30 CHF instead of the regular 92 CHF. by buying these in advance for our trip, we saved 496 CHF for the round trip.

Posted by
41 posts

These are all great suggestions. Thanks everyone for the "open jaw" airline idea and not returning the car in a different country.