Please sign in to post.

2 weeks after study abroad London - where to go?

My son & 3 friends will finish their study abroad semester in London on Nov. 19 and have opted for the flight home on Dec.3. They are looking for ideas of where to travel (on a budget of course) and what to see for those 2 weeks. Suggestions welcome!

Posted by
9110 posts

I can come up with a bunch of ideas, but some might self-eliminate. How old is the oldest one in the mob?

I also strongly suspect that any ideas that show up here will be trumped by something the guys gather from their chums.

Also, you have the same question splattered all over the place. How about go back and eliminate the others to avoid confusion.

Posted by
3428 posts

Do they want to stay in the UK or hit some other country(ies)? Scotland and Wales are wonderful. Germany and Austria are great. What are their interests? What are they studying? Knowing more will help us give relevant ideas.

Posted by
22 posts

thanks for the help = the oldest is 22, youngest is 19. they think they want to go to Morocco, but not sure if that is even feasible. They think they can visit 6 countries, but not sure if any of them have actually been to Europe. Our family just came back from Italy, so my son has a clue about train travel in Europe, etc. He wants me to meet with them to help them narrow it down. I have only been to Italy, Greece, Israel, Turkey and Egypt so really don't know anything first hand about destinations elsewhere (but I do read and research a lot!)

Posted by
22 posts

Hey Toni- I think they will have had their fill of the UK after 10 weeks there for general ed classes plus British Life & Culture. Being So Cal boys, I'm not sure they realize the weather they will be dealing with, either! They each have varying interests, so they are open to just about anything.

Posted by
1589 posts

He could get a great package from the UK for Tunisia. Great beaches and very inexpensive. Does he speak any French?

Posted by
1449 posts

Why do they need to decide now, in July? Let them do the study abroad, they'll meet lots of other kids who can tell them about places they might like to visit, and they'll be able to decide what they want to do.

Posted by
9110 posts

The age killed some of my ideas.

Morocco sounds like a winner for budget messing around. Ryan runs out of Luton to Marrakesh for less than four hundred bucks. I wish the heck I'd gotten down that way when I was younger -- they'd have the time of their lives and it'd be a complete culture change for variety. Fez would be even better, but I don't know if that would work as an initial destination in Morocco. I don't know how you'd pull Morocco off by train, but it would probably eat up a lot of time and wind up with a flight anyway. My problem with a train would be getting side-tracked in France and Spain and never making it all the way.

My other budget ideas that weren't eliminated were Wales (probably too much like England), Brittany (might not be enough to keep them entertained) and the neglected parts of Spain and Portugal (same problem as Brittany).

Posted by
11507 posts

November,, go south!

Ski hills not really up and going ( and they are never a budget destination anyways) adn Wales, and Scotland will already be in winter( damp and cold)

I think Morrocco or Canary Islands is a great idea. Have them look locally ( in UK) for some package deals to those places,they often have some very cheap deals.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks, everyone -- all great suggetions... keep 'em coming! I will pass along the info to the guys.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks, James - these guys attend a private Christian University. We wouldn't want to tempt fate!

Posted by
1035 posts

Michael said "Amsterdam is fun for students".
I don't think that smoking marijuana and hiring a prossy is every student's idea of "fun".

Funny, I don't remember saying that. If you think that is all there is to Amsterdam, I feel sorry for you.