Please sign in to post.

What District is best to see St Stephens festivities in Budapest

Hello,

I am traveling to Budapest on August 19 - 21, which happens to coincide with their biggest festival, St Stephens Day. I know there are Red Bull Air Challenges and lots of fireworks, (plus ancillary, smaller events).

Currently, I have lodging in the District V(5), on Andrassy Ave and a 20 minute walk to the Danube, and then District VIII i think), near Raday St but close to the Danube. Which lodging puts me in a better spot to see most of the festival and events?

My gut tells me that public transportation will be swamped and i will have a better chance by setting up in a central location.

Any help?

Posted by
811 posts

Hi Joe,

Could you share the address of each hotel? I know district V is central Budapest where most tourists stay, but parts of district VIII can be close, too. For me it would be more helpful to see the locations on a map, first, before proffering an opinion.

In the meantime, THIS post has been going on TripAdvisor.com for a few days and you might find some useful tidbits in it.

Lastly, it sounds like quite a crowd gathers for St. Stephen's festivities, you are likely right to trust your gut about public transport that evening. The good news, though, is Budapest is extremely walkable!

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for your response!

I do not have the exact address on the lower one but its next to the Petofi Hid and HEV Vegallamos Bororas Ter Metro station. The other is Andrássy út 111, H-1063 Budapest, Hungary at Mamaison Hotel.

Thank you for the trip advisor link. Thats extremely useful.

Posted by
811 posts

Well, hmm. I've looked at both locations, and the one by the HEV Boraros ter would be much closer if you were to walk up to the place near Elizabeth Bridge to watch the fireworks, as johnfarago from TripAdvisor advises (he's a really good source of information for Budapest-related travels, by the way). I'd guess it to be about a 30 minute walk along the riverside. Another advantage with this hotel is it's on Raday utca, Budapest's "Restaurant Row." We ate at a different restaurant on this street almost every night we were there - quality goods, for sure.

On the other hand, this hotel is located on the southern end of the sights tourists generally visit (Chain Bridge, Parliament building, House of Terror, etc.) and in that regard, it's not as ideally located as the other hotel option. But again, Budapest is walkable and outside of the St. Stephen's Day fireworks, public transit would come in handy.

The Maimason Hotel is a longer walk from the Elizabeth Bridge, likely about 45 minutes. But it's not far from City Park, Heroes Square, the House of Terror, and the Opera House, among others. And it looks as though you'd be well-situated to eyeball some of the daytime St. Stephen's Day festivities (state ceremonies, marching bands, etc).

It's a tough call, as you can see they both have pros and cons but if you were more concerned about being near(er) to the fireworks, I'd stay at the southern location. For the daytime activities, I'd stay at the Maimason.

Lastly, I strongly urge you to stop by the Great Market Hall while you're there and head up to the second floor where you'll find the langos stand. I highly recommend trying one while you're there if you aren't averse to deep-fried goodness covered in sour cream, fresh garlic, and topped with a sprinkling of cheese, for good measure.

Good luck!

Posted by
811 posts

Oh, and I'm not sure if you've seen THIS website, but it appears to outline the day's events on the 20th. Crap, I just noticed there is a water and air parade on the Danube, now I'm really torn about your hotel location. I'm not being very helpful at all!

Posted by
9 posts

Ha i know. Thats my problem, but the good thing is it sounds like I can go wrong with neither. Thanks for your help.