Please sign in to post.

South America

I realize this site is devoted to Europe, however, I would appreciate any information on travel sites to the Amazon, Rio, Iguassu and Machu Picchu. I am a solo traveler and want to travel to these areas in October-November. I have read about the theft in Rio, is this a real concern? I always take PadSafe bags with me and RS money belt. Globus lists a 18 day tour for $4,159 without air for this tour; can I take this tour for less money. I have researched the Swallows and Amazons company; is this a good company to contract with for an Amazon River tour? Dorsey

Posted by
136 posts

Almost forgot, visit the dam while at Iguassu, 20 miles away. And try to get to Paraguay, since you are right there.

Posted by
811 posts

I was in Peru (including Machu Picchu) October 2008, it's a good time of year to go both tourist-wise and weather-wise. What I'd recommend is to spend some time over on the TripAdvisor.com forums. I've spent a great deal of time on the Peru forums and know that tour companies are discussed at great length and I'd guess it to be a similar situation on the other South American forums, as well. Same goes for safety issues/concerns and just about anything else you'd need to know.

Feel free to PM me if you had any specific questions about Peru.

Posted by
32220 posts

Dorsey,

Have a look at G.A.P. Tours, as mentioned in a previous reply, and also Adventure Travel Company.

For Guidebooks in that part of the world, Lonely Planet is your best bet.

Happy travels!