Please sign in to post.

Tour de France!

With no apologies to soccer fans, the world's greatest sporting event starts today... in the Netherlands. It passes through Belgium tomorrow before entering France. A great chance to see some of the wonderful landscapes of NW Europe while watching amazing feats of athleticism. And if you miss the race today, don't worry. The race continues nearly daily for the next three weeks. Enjoy!

PS- Although it's been said before, this could be your last chance to see Lance Armstrong compete in the race he has dominated for over a decade.

Posted by
850 posts

Great start! Hope he keeps it going. Only 2200+ more miles to go.

Posted by
850 posts

Watching it now and looking forward to the next three weeks not only for the racing but for the scenery as well. Will be interesting to see Armstrong in his final(?) TDF. Don't think he will win at his age but never count a champion out. Contador and the Schleck brothers will be tough.

Posted by
2776 posts

I enjoy watching Tour de France!!! I hope Lance Armstrong does well.

Posted by
1883 posts

Go TEAM Radio Shack! Go Lance. I'm still rooting for the American from Texas.

VS and TdF....next 3 weeks at our house.

Posted by
12040 posts

Today's highlights: Antwerp, Mechelen, and of course, Brussels. Looking for a furious sprint at the end from Mark Cavendish.

Posted by
12040 posts

Wow! I have never seen a cycling stage end with the sheer chaos we witnessed today. Like I said- WORLD'S GREATEST SPORTING EVENT.

Tomorrow, we head through the rolling hills of Vlaams and Walloon Brabant and on to the Ardennes to Spa, which is more or less a smaller Belgian version of Baden-Baden.

Posted by
850 posts

Tom, that was kind of messy today wasn't it? Tomorrow the cobblestones will make for a bumpy ride and will be interesting to watch. I thought today's coverage was not the best by VS when they could not give a clear report on the crashes. The cameras seemed to be out of place but I suppose with the roads in certain areas being so narrow and the density of the trees caused some problems for them. I do like the overhead view from the helicopter showing the castles and other landmarks. The short piece on the Notre Dame in Antwerp was nice coverage and it is good to see them blend those things and some of the historical significance of the area in with the race.

Posted by
12040 posts

Yup, more carnage today. Interesting the way Fabian Cancellara got the whole field of riders to settle down at the end to avoid even more wreckage.

I've never seen cobblestones in the Tour de France before (seen them on plenty of one day "Cobblestone Classics", though) so it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. If it rains, I'm predicting another day of chaos.

Posted by
12040 posts

Looks like Lance got a flat tire at the worst possible time today. And poor Frank Schlek, I hope he's not seriously injured. Great recovery by his brother Andy today, though. Cancellara and Hushovd once again live up to their monikers, Spartacus and the God of Thunder, respectively.

We also saw some wonderful aerial shots of several castles today. That's one of the things I love about the Tour, while you have a savage battle of attrition waging on ground level, you see some beautiful images of European landmarks, many of them not well known.

Posted by
850 posts

That was certainly a tough break for Lance. He did a remarkable job to catch up with the third group. It is going to be tough for him to over come the lead that Andy Schleck and Contador has over him for the overall. Without that flat tire he would have probably finished in the group with Contador today.
From what I read Frank Scheck probably has a broken collar bone so that is too bad. Several quality riders already out due to injury.

I agree about the aeriel shots of the castles. Really beautiful and it just points out how many sites there are to see in Europe that are not on the popular list or known list of things to see.

Posted by
95 posts

Tom, we are not long back from watching the last week of the Giro d`Italia. Every bit as good as the Tour but without the hordes and hype - well maybe a little bit. Great fun. Such passion and posturing and the lycra - wow!

Posted by
225 posts

I'll be in Paris when the Tour de France ends there!! I'm very excited. I'm wondering have any of you ever been there during it? I want to get some sort of Tour de France memorabilia or souvenirs for people from home... any ideas?

Posted by
95 posts

If you can get to the towns where a stage either starts or finishes and go to the sponsors village, then you will amass loads of freebies from them.

Posted by
108 posts

Linda, You're right about the freebies...just got some pix of our 6 y.o. grandson sporting 4 kinds of caps with sponsors names emblazed on them. I'm not sure what other freebies they got. This was in Stavelot, near Spa. They also got a close-up of Lance, himself, leading the pack, or at least it appeared so, with maybe one rider a short distance ahead.

Posted by
850 posts

That was a brutal climb yesterday amongst a wild atmsophere of fans. Hats off to Schleck and Contador for their "who's gonna blink first" attitude. Neither one did and the final couple of days favor Contador. Good show put on by both men. There were some crazy fans running along side the bikers and it is a miracle they didn't cause some of the riders to wreck. All kind of outfits and even some semi-streakers running along the bikers in what turned out to be a cold day in the Pyrenees.

Looks like Radio Shack will win the team competition so Lance will be on the Podium for his final TDF. Fitting.

Posted by
796 posts

and a Canadian in 4th place in the overall standings yesterday!!!!! I started watching the Tour for the helicopter views; now I am quite into the race. I love the final day, those turns scare me at the speeds they go. An interesting sport, I learn something new every day.

Posted by
12040 posts

I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't been able to watch the tour for the past two weeks...but I caught it yesterday. Mark Cavendish made that look easy!

Looks like today we pass a selection of famous French vineyards, ending near the celebrated Chateau Latour.

Posted by
850 posts

June, although I had followed the TDF through the sports pages in years past I had never watched it until last year. I watched it for two reasons mainly. One because just the month prior we were in France and Spain and drove through Andorra where a stage or two of the race took place. Always interesting to see places on TV where you have traveled. The other reason was to see the comeback of Lance Armstrong. I was hooked after watching the race and the overhead views turned out to be a bonus. I too learned a lot about the rules, tactics and sportsmanship of cycling and continue to do so. I agree it is a very interesting sport and the riders have to be in tremendous shape. The "bonus" coverage with the overhead views and the commentators giving historical data about the Chateaus', old buildings and such is like a mini-travel program inside the racing event. My wife who is not into sports even reminded me to record the ride into Paris tomorrow.

Tom, hope you can find a replay of stage 17 and view the climb up the Col du Tourmalet. It was wild and Schelck and Contador really gutted it out with neither one yielding to the other. Good stuff.

Contador wrapped it up today in the TT's and is ahead in the overall by 39 seconds. It would have been even closer had Schleck's chain not come off his bike in stage 15 which resulted in his going from a 31 second lead to an 8 second deficit. I was pulling for him to win after that. Too bad Lance had so much bad luck in the early stages. He may have had a chance for third place. Team Radio Shack won the team part so he will be on the podium tomorrow. It has been a good TDF.

Posted by
12040 posts

The Manx Missile strikes again! He seemingly came out of nowhere to launch that late attack.

I missed the bulk of the Tour this year, but loved what I saw. Kind of a shame, though, that the yellow jersey was decided mostly by a popped bike chain this year. But still, great job by Schlek and Contradour. It will be really interesting to see what happens next year when both Schlek brothers can team up again.

Posted by
11507 posts

Our hometwon boy,( Victoria , Canada,), Ryder Hesjedal,, in 7th!!!

Way to go Canucks!

Posted by
850 posts

Yep, the chain incident will be talked about for a long time. Contador gained 39 seconds in stage 15 on Schleck when he attacked when Schleck's chain came off and guess what turned out to be Contador's final margin of victory. 39 seconds! Unreal.