Please sign in to post.

Currency in Eastern Europe

Will be travelling from St Petersburg to Istanbul via Estonia, Latvia,Lithuania,Poland,Cz,Slovakia,Hungary Romania Bulgaria and Turkey and wonder how may different currencies I will need apart from Euros. Will all of these countries accept Euros or should I get small amounts of each currency? Many thanks.

Posted by
959 posts

http://www.xe.com/iso4217.php
If you're American, it's probably in your best interest to use the currencies from the poorer countries instead of Euros since the dollar is much stronger there. I would not want to use the Euro anywhere (even though it's better now than it was a year ago....)

Posted by
668 posts

I think I am right in saying that CZ is the only counytry you list that uses the Euro. Make sure your bank knows where and when you are going, then hit an ATM when you enter each country and get some local currency. Pay for accommodation and meals with a CC.

Posted by
2876 posts

The Czech Republic is not on the euro. Their currency is the Czech koruna (crown).

Slovakia is the only country on your list that IS on the euro.

Some merchants in the other countries MIGHT accept euros, but you'll pay a big markup. It's always to your advantage to use the local currency and obtain it from local ATM's.

Posted by
873 posts

Look at it as if you were trying to pay with US dollars in the UK or Eurozone. Some merchants might take them, but you will get change in the local currency and probably get ripped off to high heavens on the "exchange rate".

Posted by
12040 posts

In Russia, rubles are the sole legal currency. You can only obtain them in Russia and you can not take them out of the country (although the authorities will overlook a small amount of left-overs).

Posted by
873 posts

A lot of Russian merchants (except maybe overpriced high-end boutiques and grocery stores) will gladly take your dollars/euros, but like I said, expect to get ripped off.

Posted by
2788 posts

Just got back from 3 weeks in Turkey with 10 days in Istanbul. Turkey uses it own currency, the Turkish Lera (sp?) at about 156/US$1. Readily available ATM all over the city. Just reviewed my CU account and see that the only cost above the daily exchange rate was a 1% fee. Istanbul is a BIG city and we did not run out of sites or things to do in 10 days. Happy travels

Posted by
668 posts

Tom - you are right. Czek REp had planned to go on Euro this year, but backed off, sorry. However, I had no problem buying Russian Rubles in the UK last year at Marks & Spencers - they even bought back my excess (large bills only) when I returned.

Posted by
1158 posts

The best idea is to get the money from a ATM or exchange centers.
No, you can not pay with Euros in any of theose countries. You might be able to pay for some services like dentist and doctor, but in restaurants or retail stores.

Posted by
417 posts

I believe that Estonia is adopting the Euro as of January 1, 2011.

Posted by
12313 posts

I'm doing a multi-country trip this year with multiple currencies (Three Scandinavian and Estonian Crowns, Euro in Finland, Ruble in Russia, Polish Zloty). My plan is to get local currency from ATMs in each country and only keep a small amount as souvenirs when I leave the country.

Using an ATM will get the best exchange rate. Any additional currency exchange bumps your cost of currency up significantly.

Posted by
14780 posts

Hi,

I was in Budapest just on a day trip from Vienna (lack of time) on 23 May 2010. As regards to whether you can use the Euro...yes. In the tourist areas in Budapest, they accept Euro and you can get by well speaking German and English, no problems with communicating as long you stay in tourist areas.