Please sign in to post.

Student Ids

I see where students need a picture id to get the student admission rate at european tourist locations. My 12 year old doesn't have a school id? What will they accept in London and Paris? Will a passport do?

Posted by
873 posts

Check if they have a child/youth rate. Your daughter is young enough that if a child rate is available, it'll most likely be even cheaper than a student rate.

Posted by
787 posts

Won't you always have her passport with you? That's the best form of identity.

Though, in our experience, they'll just ask you how old she is, and not ask to see ID. That's what we've always experienced.

Just as an interesting story, in Italy, many student discounts are for EU citizens only. This was strictly enforced in the big attractions in Venice, Florence and Rome (they didn't ask for IDs, they just asked what country we were from). At the smaller places and towns, they often let our 11 daughter in free or with the EU student discount - we called it the creative Italian discount!

Posted by
1357 posts

If they have family admission prices, you can use that for your family. We did that last year. At most places, it was the same price as 2 adults, usually included 2 adults and up to 4 kids. My sister has 5 kids, we "adopted" one of hers when it was time to pay.

Posted by
12172 posts

When traveling with our kids it seems the places that offer student discounts take our word for it without asking for ID.

In Italy we ran into some resistance to giving a reduction because we weren't part of the EU, no ID would have helped in those cases (unless it was an EU ID).