Please sign in to post.

tipping

is there any hard and fast rules on tipping in europe ?

Posted by
1288 posts

Good luck, After traveling in Europe over 20 weeks, I still find tipping there to be a mystery:

Ask a local: They always say just round up and leave little (or "we rarely tip") This was true in Munich. However, at Hofbrauhaus, it clearly said on the menu that gratuity was included (or service included, something along that line) However, our waiter clearly announced to us that "tip is not included" when he brought us our change (and we had rounded up) We were chatting with a couple who live a couple hours north of Munich. Their take was that he was just trying to get more out of us since Americans are known to be good tippers and they make extra money off Americans. To this day I have no idea what the truth is here. We were so thrown, we handed him back a couple of euros.

I have always regretted not tipping our guide on a biking excursion we took in Italy. I think we were suppose to (although I asked several other couples on the trip and they said they thought we were not suppose to) We were all Americans (as was the guide) and I still wonder if I did not treat our excellent guide unfairly.

I wish I could be clearer, but it is something I struggle with after many trips to Europe.

Posted by
10344 posts

click here for Rick's advice on tipping in Europe

and click here for tips from locals on tipping in Europe

Posted by
9110 posts

A more helpful answer:

Look at the menue; look at the bill.

If neither indicates that service is included in the price (fairly rare), tip about fifteen percent.

If service is included, round up to the next euro (or round up plus one euro if round-up was miniscule) if service as pretty good. If you've made a pest of yourself tip more.

It's not customary to tip in pubs in the UK and RoI.

Posted by
337 posts

Sorry Ed, but it's not really helpful. As Steve has already remarked the tipping cultures and customs vary tremendously among European countries.

And the "service is included" notes are also highly dependent on the country in question.

Posted by
951 posts

I think most RS books state about 10% for sit down service. Check your bill because sometimes, there is a service charge. He also states don't be afraid to ask. I remember when I left 4 euros for a waiter in Amsterdam and he acted like it was Christmas. So after that I made sure I did not leave as much.

Posted by
517 posts

In Austria, round up a euro or two. For example, if the bill is €33.10, you round up to €35. A typical transaction would be as follows: The waiter/waitress gives you the bill and says "€33.10". In response you hand them your €40 and say "€35". The waiter/waitress then gives you €5 back and thanks you. The object is not only to give them a little bit extra, but also make it easier for them to give you change. Always give the tip right to the server when paying. Never leave coins on the table. Remember to take your receipt with you.

Posted by
2876 posts

The best method is to just ask a local. As long as the local isn't your waiter.

Posted by
19099 posts

It might only be for Germany, but I asked a local there and got the same advice Ed gave.

She told me to only round the bill up to the next Euro. I asked her what if it is, say €17,90. She said to give them €18.

OK, I can't quite bring my self to do that. I usually add 50 Cent, then round up.

1) It's not a tip. A charge for service is already included. It's just not being petty about the small change.

2) The German's are still burning over the increase due to going to the Euro. They used to round up to the nearest Mark. Rounding up to the nearest Euro is like rounding up to the nearest even Mark.

Posted by
3313 posts

I thought Ed's advice was helpful and consistent with what I've experienced in more than 20 years of travel in Europe...

Posted by
8947 posts

As has been said, different countries have different customs, so I can only speak for Germany.

Having worked in restaurants here as a manager, tipping 10% is the norm. Yes, many people just round up, but with a certain amount of logic. If your bill is 49 euro, you certainly are going be to regarded as a cheapskate if you only say 50. A 5 euro tip for that bill would be more acceptable. Tipping in small village restaurants is also very different than tipping in larger cities. If you are in a small place, where the owner is waiting on you, etc. then no tip is expected, as this is the culture here. Otherwise, do tip your server if the service was good. If the service was crap, do feel free to tip nothing at all.

That service charge that you may see on your bill is not a tip, it is a charge that goes to the restaurant. The servers do not receive this money.

No one here talks about the Deutsch Mark anymore. That is just old news, unless one is hanging around senior citizens chatting about the "Good Old Days".

Posted by
337 posts

Lee,

"... She told me to only round the bill up to the next Euro. I asked her what if it is, say €17,90. She said to give them €18. ..."

That is tight even for Germany (or at least for North-Germany).

"... It's just not being petty about the small change. ..."

That is the social illusion to make it appear less like charity.

But the fact of the matter is that the overall income of German waiters is composed of roughly 70-80% wage and 30-20% tips. If everybody was as stingy as your acquaintance it would really make a big dent in the income of waiters.

Posted by
518 posts

I personally think waiting tables is a very difficult job regardless of the country -- US or elsewhere. I am going to give a reasonable tip regardless of where I am. I had much rather leave too much than to leave too little. In hotels, I'm still confused who to tip and how much in the US. One person unloads your car, another pushes it into the hotel, another to your room, etc. I know I usually end up tipping the person who did the least work. (In Europe, we never have enough luggage to use a porter.) A car tends to take away our reasonable packing volume.

Posted by
8947 posts

The one person in a hotel that ought to be tipped is the housekeeper and too few people do this. This is one of the hardest jobs around, and even leaving a euro or two every day is a little reward. I would rather tip a housekeeper than anyone else.

Posted by
1288 posts

Thank you to those who live in Europe for reply to this post. It really helps to get the facts. It also helps me understand what happened to me at Hofbrauhaus.

Posted by
1525 posts

The entire concept of tipping and all that led up to it's development infuriates me to no end.

Last year we spent 30 days in France with children and ate at a "service" restaurant only 5 times. Each time we left small tips as described here in previous posts because we felt obligated to.

I would rather put my order in at the window and pick it up myself if such places were more common. The whole idea of being "served" gives me the creeps, frankly. I would have made a lousy aristocrat.

Posted by
8947 posts

Randy, do you and your family not go to restaurants in the US at all? Or do you just go to fast food places?

Why are you uncomfortable being served in France, but not at home? Can it be that much different overseas? At least here, you don't have to tip as much and if you don't want to, you don't have to all, as the server is not going to run after you. Because of that automatic service charge on your bill, your server is still going to have medical insurance and a decent amount of vacation time each year.

Posted by
1525 posts

Jo,

We almost never eat out at home either, although that has more to do with trying to save money for travel than anything else. My objection to being served has nothing at all to do with Europe or travel. When we travel we often stay at weekly rentals and shop for and cook our own food. We eat healthier that way and much more cheaply. We also pack sandwiches and other picnic items for one meal a day. If we stay at a hotel or B&B or hostel, we stay in a place that serves a large breakfast.

It is true, we miss a little exposure to local food specialties. But we try those when we can and generally find that, with so much "international" food available everywhere, food isn't that much different from place to place.

I like to pay people to do things I can't do for myself. I can't fix a car, but I can carry a plate and refill a drink. I get no more thrill from being served a meal than from someone offering to help me get dressed in the morning. Actually, THAT might be a little thrilling under the right circumstances...

Posted by
97 posts

"Please don't bring your preconceived notions of what tipping should be from the USA, its different in Europe."

Um Steve, Lyle is from Vancouver. I'm pretty certain that is NOT in the USA. :-(