Please sign in to post.

Planning our next Europe Trip!!

My parents and I are planning our second trip to Europe. This time we are planning to go to Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. We would like to see the beautiful scenary in Scotland, the fjords in Norway and Moscow and St. Petersburg in Russia!! How long should we go far and what should we see? Thanks!!

Posted by
989 posts

For you St Petersburg - Moscow part of the trip , look at the river cruises down the Volga - usually 4 days in each city and about 5 days crusing from one city to the other with side trips and excursions along the way.VikingRiver Cruises.com.

Posted by
3428 posts

That's a big area to cover. Scotland is wonderful, but seems a bit geographiclly disconnected from the rest of your itenerary. If you have lots of time, go for it! For Scotland, I'd suggest at least 7 to 10 days. Edinburgh, 2 at least. Inverness and the Higlands- at least 4. If you want to include any of the islands or Glasgow, or the lowlands/borders, you may need more. If you just want a taste, you could get by with 5 days (not counting arrival day). Norway is also a wonderful destination. We've only stayed in the Oslo area except on a "big bus" tour we did many, many years ago. I'd expect at least a week-plus. Others will have to make recommendations about the rest.... but Russia... It's a BIG BIG BIG place.

Posted by
873 posts

Agreed with Toni, unless you have over a month, you probably want to cut out Scotland or Russia.

For Russia, cruises and guided tours are probably your best bet. They will make it much easier for you to get around the country, and will definitely be of great assistance when it comes to getting your visa.

If you go, Moscow some must-sees are: Red Square/Kremlin/St. Basil's (obviously), Cathedral of Christ The Saviour, mega shopping centers at GUM and Okhotny Ryad, Gorky Park, Tretyakovskaya Gallery, Gagarin monument, Bolshoi Theatre. I recommend taking a boat ride down the Moscow river - interesting even for a local.