Please sign in to post.

Venice to Vienna

We just purchased our airfare, into Venice and out of Vienna (16 full days, 18 if you add arrival and departure day), in September ($675 total each, non-stop from Toronto!!). Now we have to decide the route in between, and when to take the train and when to rent a car.

We are definitely including Salzburg, Hallstatt and Melk. We've spent 5 days in Vienna a few years ago so are thinking only a day or two to revisit our favourite places. The Italy portion has us a bit confused. We are interested in the following places but know we couldn't possibly do them all: Bellagio (or other Lakes experience), Milan (for San Siro tour), Cinque Terre, Ravenna, and possibly Florence. It isn't necessary to try to fit Rome in because we were there in 2008.

Does anybody have any suggestions on knitting some of these destinations together? Should we keep it more compact and concentrate on Ravenna/Bologna/Parma/Verona?

Thanking you all in advance for any input.

Posted by
51 posts

There is an overnight train in Venice that goes directly to Vienna.

I plan on taking it in 2 weeks when i'm there. I'm going to get into Venice early in the morning and take the 12:30am train out to Vienna.

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Andrea. I would think about keeping it more compact, the trip over to Milan and hte lakes is nice.

How many of you are traveling?

We've done that route by car, and it really worked out well. From Venice to Vienna itself, it's kind of a pain (trains have to route around old WWII tracks that were never replaced), makes the rides a bit longer - they're still beautiful!

With a car out of Venice, you pick up right outside the city, and the most direct route through Slovenia is beautiful. The caves there are definitely worth a stop, and a night in Ljubjlana or Bled is worth it.

You can keep the car all the way through to Vienna - it's actually really nice to have one to drive the area around Salzburg. Parking there is about 13EUR/day.

The other direction, say if you were to head over to Milan, you can go up through Switzerland, and it's a beautiful trip well worth taking., stay a night or two there, then on to Salzburg.

I (just personal preference here) get pensive about seeing too many thing with flying into Venice, as the father you go, the more you will have to back track through Italy to get to Vienna. You can make some nice circle trips though.

Hope you have fun! Chris

Posted by
12313 posts

The trip from Venice to CT is a long one. You could probably do Florence first, then CT, through Milan, to the Lakes, then head North through the Brenner Pass.

Along that route places we really liked were Verona and Hall in Tyrol (not far from Innsbruck). Verona is beautiful and worth at least a night. Hall is nice and a good place for a day stop and lunch while traveling.

Posted by
104 posts

In 2007 we took a 14 day trip that started in Vienna. It was our first time there, so we didn't wander too far, just made a great day trip to Melk abbey. After 4 days, we took the day train to Venice--great scenery in Austria. Did 4 days in Venice with day trips to Padua, Treviso. Then, took the train to Lake Come for 5 days. Mind you, we're in our mid-50's and weren't interested in doing a "tourist death march" like we did when younger. Had a lot to see and a relaxing time to see it. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1619 posts

This morning I posted an adjusted itinerary and received no response yet, here is the text from that:

We have adjusted our itinerary and this is our current thinking (for this September):

Venice (land at noon)

Venice

Venice

Bologna

Bellagio

Bellagio

Bellagio

Verona

Verona

Hall

Salzburg

Salzburg

Hallstatt

Hallstatt

Krems, or Melk, or Vienna

Vienna

Vienna

leave from Vienna airport.

Also we are thinking of a short term car rental for our time at the Lakes. Has anybody followed any of Frommers "best-loved driving tours"? They suggest some routes around the Lakes area that sound wonderful.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback. Andrea.