Please sign in to post.

Another Cell Phone Question

Hi,

If I purchase an unlocked cell phone on ebay, what type of phone should I be looking for?

When we get to Germany I would purchase a sim card, is there any cell phone store that would help me install it?

How would I know what the phone number the phone has? Does it come with the sim card?

Thanks for you help,
Wendy

Posted by
9363 posts

It should be a quad band phone. Installation is simple, just open the back of the phone and you'll see where it goes. And yes, the number comes with the SIM card.

Posted by
1152 posts

I just did an ebay search for unlocked quad band cell phone and then sorted the search for lowest price first. Skip down to the "buy it now" pricing and you will begin to see the plain jane phones that will work well for a trip overseas. I have had experience with Motorola phones and could recommend them. Just be sure to buy from a seller with experience and a good feedback rating.

Many of these phones are used and often older models. For that reason, the battery that comes with the phone may be at the end of its useful life. You might want to look into getting a replacement battery off ebay, too. Or you might just wait and buy an inexpensive new phone once you get there. I did that last year in England and got a good deal. Because you'll likely be going to a phone store to get a SIM, you can just get a phone at the same time.