Please sign in to post.

London to Normandy

We are wanted to spend 4 or 5 days in London then go to the Normandy area for a week and finish up with 2 or 3 days in Paris. We are a family of 5. We won't need a car in London. I'm having trouble figuring out the most inexpensive/ least hastle way of getting to the Normandy area. We could take the train to the coast and then take a ferry to Caen or Cherbourg, but many of those seem to be for cars not foot passengers. Ryan air seems to go there fairly cheaply, but I've heard there are tons of extra fees?? The children will be 16, 14 and 9 when we do this. Also, where in Normandy is it best to rent a car?? My itinerary seems different from those in Rick's books..that or I've missed the info.

Christine

Posted by
23557 posts

All the ferries take passengers in addition to cars and trucks. You might consider the ferry from Portsmith to LaHavre -- about five hours. Cherbourg is some distance from Normandy and I don't think of it as being part of Normandy.

Posted by
8700 posts

IMO, your most logical route is Portsmouth to Caen on Brittany Ferries. You can travel either during the day or overnight. If you book well in advance at www.megatrain.com, you can get a fare of 1.00 GBP for a train from London Waterloo to Portsmouth. Pick up a rental car at the train station in Caen.