Please sign in to post.

Help with my itinerary

I have 29.5 days in Europe. I arrive in Rome at 9:30am in the morning. 30 days later I fly out of London. So that gives me 29.5 days to see Europe.

I have come up with a list of places and sights I want to see but I'm really having a hard time connecting the dots on which order to see them, and how to get to each location (trains or fly).

So far this is what I have.

Day 1 Friday Arrive at Rome at 9:30 am. I figure it will take me around 2.5 hours to get through customs, get on a train and get to center Rome. I have reserved my Vatican tickets for Rome at 4pm. I plan on setting the Vatican on Friday, check into my hostel, walk the city and go to bed.
Day 2: Rome all day, the "Cesear Shuffle", fountains, the rest of the sights.
Day 3: Leave Rome 8am to Florence. I have reservations to see Uffizzi Gallery and David at 2 and 5 respectively.
Day 4: Leave Florence around noon and head to Pisa. 2 hour stop in Pisa then take the train to La Specia. Check into my hostel and have a relaxing night. .
Day 5: Hike the Cinque Terre.
This is where I'm up to. I don't know where to go from here. I would like to see Venice, but i'm not sure if I should go from Genoa or La Spezia. Or should I skip Venice and go to Lake Commo for a day?

Posted by
51 posts

Part 2 my first message was too long:

I would also like to see Zermatt (Mattehorn) for a couple hours. At least take the cables to the top.
I wouldn't mind seeing Chamonix too.
Interlaken is very high on my list. I plan on spending 2 full days there.
Munich, Prague, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Bruges, Paris and London are on there too. Obviously I can't do them all. I would like to, but that would be too hectic.
As I said, I'm beginning in Rome, going to Florence, Pisa then CT. I'm ending in London. Between CT and London I have no idea what order to attack things and how to get around. Should I buy a 30 day rail pass? Should i buy a 21 day rail pass? Should I just buy rail tickets as I need them? Should I mix in flights?
I would say Paris, Interlaken, Munich, Prague, Barcelona are the top places I want to see. Amsterdam, Zermatt and Bruges are in there too, but I could easily skip those.
Someone please help me. This trip is stressing me out and I only have 23 till i leave.

Thank you

Posted by
676 posts

Jason, If I counted right, you have 15 places you want to see in 29.5 days, so that gives you a little less than 2 days/place. I know you may not want to hear this, but you're trying to do WAY TOO MUCH!! You have to decide if you really want to see the places you're going to see, or do you want to just say I want here and there and everywhere? Rome really deserves more than the day of arrival and another day. You will be very tired at 4PM seeing the Vatican your day of arrival; if you manage to walk the city you're a better man than I am! I would suggest giving Rome another day. Florence- I did David and the Ufizzi in one day and it was definitely sensory overload, so unless you really like art try to split it up, maybe do David the day you leave Florence. By the time you get to CT to hike all day you'll be exhausted. I personally think everyone should see Venice, but everyone I've talked to loved Lake Como so that's a toss up. I'd have to read Part 2 to make more suggestions.

Posted by
676 posts

As for the rest, you need to look at a map of Europe. you want to see Paris, Interlaken, Munich, Prague and Barcelona also, but those places are all over the place in Europe. You'd be zigzagging back and forth. you really aren't taking into consideration travel time after Italy, which you need to do. Look at a map and narrow it down and you'll probably get some more answers. Re-post again with the narrowed down list.

Posted by
15640 posts

I agree with the other responders. I just want to add this.

Have you chosen the sights because you've heard they are the "must-dos and must-sees" or because you have a real interest in them. What is your goal for the trip? To see some of the western world's best art and architecture? To experience European culture? To scout Europe to decide where you want to vacation sometime in the future (which is what your itinerary kind of sounds like)?

Spending 24 hours in a city doesn't give you enough time to become familiar with it. It barely gives you time to orient yourself to the new surroundings. Most people get lost now and then in European cities - the historic centers (where you'll be) are a maze of tiny streets and alleys that twist and turn, with few street signs. Most of the locals speak little or (more usually) no English. Unless you are taking taxis, you are going to have to figure out how to use public transport in each city (it's always a bit different) - where to buy tickets (and how to ask for them), where to get on the bus/tram/metro and where to get off for your destination. Sometimes the stop is right in front of the sight you want, more often you have to navigate some of those byways to find it. And when you get back, you still have to find the stop to go back.

It sounds like you are backpacking. You might try the Lonely Planet's travel forums, which are geared toward the 20-something backpacker. This site is more for the geezers who go slowly and in comparative luxury :-)