Please sign in to post.

Hats for Men

What kind of hats do men wear while traveling in western Europe? My husband is mostly bald and usually wears a baseball hat to keep the sun from burning him. Do men wear baseball hats in Europe?

Posted by
10344 posts

"Do men wear baseball hats in Europe?"

Yes. A baseball cap will be fine. Whatever he's comfortable with--just as long as he doesn't wear a beret in Paris.

Posted by
3313 posts

Baseball caps are fine. One added benefit is that if you wear one from your local sports team, people from your own area will notice. So, I'm sure you're husband would do well with a yellow ballcap with a green "O" on it! ;)

Posted by
32224 posts

Patty,

I also pack my trusty Tilley hat along on holidays. It has a really high SPF rating so works well on hot days. As it has a wider brim, it helps to keep the sun off the back of my neck to some extent as well.

Posted by
12172 posts

If you're worried that a baseball cap will make you look like a tourist, buy a golf cap. They're basically the same thing - just different logos.

Posted by
375 posts

My husband is a little "taller than his hair", too. He likes the English style golf cap--the one that slopes down in the front. He also has several other styles, such as a straw fedora, a Tilley, a Columbia collapsible. He has baseball style caps as well, but doesn't prefer them. You'll see a variety of styles worn all over Europe.

Posted by
2876 posts

Just my opinion, but I think the average novice traveler worries way too much about "looking like a tourist." You ARE a tourist, and in my experience (over 20 countries) the average European can tell from 50 yards off that you're an American tourist no matter what you're wearing.

I once asked an Italian shopkeeper how this was possible, and she said, "Easy, Americans are bigger than anybody else!"

Wear whatever you want; once you're over there you'll see people from all over the world wearing every kind of outfit under the sun.

Posted by
75 posts

Had to laugh at the beret in Paris comment. Anyone remember "European Vacation" with Chevy Chase, when he bought the berets with embroidered names for the entire family?

Posted by
10344 posts

"Anyone remember "European Vacation" with Chevy Chase, when he bought the berets with embroidered names for the entire family?"

Yes! Actually that's what I had in my mind's eye when I wrote that comment.

Posted by
1449 posts

I like a Tilley hat since it gives good coverage to block the sun, and it doesn't wrinkle when stuffed into luggage.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you guys! You're great! I appreciate your replies. This is the 3rd question I've posted to this site and I always get good advice.

Posted by
386 posts

Yes, a baseball cap will be just fine! As Tom noted, we will know that you are American by other things! ;-))

I just LOVE the comment 'taller than his hair'!! It is new to me, and I will use it from here on out! Genius! :-))

Posted by
1265 posts

Patty - Like your husband I'm folicley(sp?) challenged. I've worn ball caps, golf hats, and a Tilley when I travel.

Posted by
1035 posts

Tell him to wear his ball cap backwards for that extra ugly American look.